What’s your favorite formula?

@conner74 Similac Pro Advanced. My baby (thankfully) doesn't have digestion issues so I haven't bothered with any other brand. I figured if it's good enough for the hospitals supply it, then it's good enough for me. If I can no longer afford it, then I'll look into switching to a comparable generic. Otherwise, I don't really buy into the "clean ingredients" marketing thing.

@conner74 So I was a VERYYYY colicky baby until my parents found the right formula for me. My mom told me to start him on gerber good start soothe pro to try to mitigate that. It is awesome! He could not handle similac in the hospital, hurt his tummy. But he could handle the gerber!

@conner74 We love Bobbie (gentle) but we hate the $$. The marketing got us! She tolerates it very well though.

Won’t be doing Bobbie for baby 2 unless it’s the only one they can tolerate. But at this point we’re only a couple months away from milk so 🤷‍♀️

@conner74 After all my research we went with the costco brand. It's exactly the same as similac without the pricetag. New york Times recommended it.

If you research u will see how regulated formula is here in the states and they all are essentially exaclty the same and only 4 distrubutors make them., the pricer ones are just name brand.

@conner74 My kids were on Similac Pro-Advance, Similac Advance, and now up & up premium advantage. We’ve liked all three! We’re mainly using the generic now because of cost, but our baby is doing great on it!

@conner74 Started with Similac Pro advance RTF (I think the US equivalent is 360 total care) and then switched to Similac advance liquid concentrate. I like that the liquid concentrate is sterile so I don't need to mix with warm water. What I do is I boil 2 large mason jars worth of water and keep in said mason jars that I periodically sterilize, and then I don't have to boil water every night. Our LO is 4 months old so most sources say we don't need to boil any more but our water is a bit questionable so I do it just to be on the safe side.

@kristine403 I am FTM, I don’t know what it means when you say generic formula ? Can you please tell, I see it mentioned at many places but I don’t know what it means “generic formula”

@conner74 We started with HiPP Combiotik German formula as he was born abroad (which he did very well on) and switched to Bobbie when we got home to the US because I wanted something available locally and liked the idea of a subscription. He's done really well with the transition and our pediatrician likes Bobbie as well so a win all around.

@conner74 We use similac 360 sensitive for our 6 week old. No problems so far and we love having the powder at home and ready to feed when we’re out and about!

@conner74 My favourite was whatever was available and cheap!

All were standard (non-gentle) versions. We had some gas and discomfort for a while but that resolved on its own eventually as it does for most babies.

It was either Enfamil or Similac in the hospital. Was never sure which because they only poured a little bit out into a vial to feed with a dropper (f*cking bAbY fRiEnDlY hospital nonsense).

Mix of Similac RTF and Nestlé (a.k.a. Gerber) Goodstart RTF at home, whichever had coupons or sales.

Then GoodStart liquid concentrate. Somewhat cheaper than RTF and still pretty convenient.

Then GoodStart powder for like a week before I realized Kirkland was cheaper, even vs GoodStart coupons.

Baby on the way will be whatever RTF we can get cheapest just for the convenience (May drive to the US to stock up - we're in Canada and formula has gone bonkers since Baby #1).

Once we decide the convenience of RTF isn't worth the extra cost we'll be switching to whatever powder is cheapest. Likely Kirkland if it comes back to Canada in time, but Costco and Walmart Canada have reportedly been carrying Kendamil a bit cheaper than Enfamil/Similac and Walmart Canada also has Modilac from France that seems to always be on sale really cheap. I suspect Modilac's days at Walmart are numbered and that's why it's cheap so it may not be a reliable supply going forward though.

I'd rather save money on formula and beef up my kid's college fund early. That's going to be more beneficial in the long run.

Back