We are doing no electronics during the school week for the month of May. It's changed the whole family dynamic. Maybe you should try it, too

@sf111 That was actually my question, how do you manage work during the week? Is it more “no screens at home”? That’s always a challenge too when one WFH sometimes.

@sf111 We've been electronics only on weekends for 2 years now (7yo). We noticed immediately that our son got super creative with filling his time after school, outside play, drawing, reading, Legos etc. His school work and writing improved almost immediately. We game together a few hours on the weekends but he prefers outdoors and playing with his friends (we live on a dead end street with lots of kids his age)

It may not be for everyone, but it definitely worked for us.

@dangeroustype He is asking on Fridays now that instead of electronics (which he used to get about 90 minutes of because he comes home from school at 13:00) that I clock out early so I can play board games with him.

I figure I've got like 5 more years before he wants nothing to do with me for a decade. I figure I can make time for him on a Friday. :)

@dangeroustype How do you manage this with hobbies that utilize software or computers?

For example what if your kid likes to make movies? A lot of movie making is editing on a computer. This seems similar to arts and crafts for me.

@sledgehammer Yes one of my sons is really into maths and plays a maths game a lot.

And he’s been learning checkers and chess recently, which is honestly better on a computer because it knows what you can and can’t do (I couldn’t play either to begin with so I was no use to help him).

It’s still very hard to limit but I think there needs to be a healthy medium between games/dross streaming tv and no screen time at all.

@sf111 My oldest is only 3 but we quickly banned youtube. It was such a difference having her watch something like Bluey versus really anything on YT.

@thommu YouTube has basically always been off the menu.

Wanna teach your kids a bunch of new racial slurs? Let 'em watch YouTube and you'll be astounded what they learn!

@sf111 We're fortunate enough to have grandparents help but one of the days they put on YouTube right after daycare and she vegged so hard for hours they thought she was sick. We did the biggest facepalm explaining it was just YT effect.

@sf111 We banned YouTube about 2 years ago and it made a huge difference. I do allow some YouTube tutorials or if there is a cool video we will watch together (some of the Mr beast videos are fun or Mrballen stories are good scary stories for semi older kids)

@aazae17 I did allow Hacksmith / Smarter Every Day for my 9 year old, but then it became "can I watch all Mincraft videos" which then became "can I buy all of these minecraft mods?" which then became "Can i play more minecraft" and then became "how come all these minecraft mods don't work?" and then became angry shouting at the computer because it ate his allowance money to no return.

Which, to be fair, isn't all that different than I am about my computer when I discover that I forgot to unsubscribe from some SaaS app that I stopped using. :p

@sf111 This sounds so much like my 9 year old it's uncanny.

I'm currently using the excuse that he can't play Minecraft unless it's the weekend when his friend is able to play, because it's unfair to his friend on their joint world. We had serious meltdowns yesterday because he spent the day with mom and wanted his screen fix at night when he got home.

@sf111 Okay YouTube is a double-edged sword. There is also a plethora of good stuff on YouTube as well that is super interesting. The kiddos tend to go in streaks with it so they will watch a series of videos over a couple weeks of all one type so you do have to pay attention. I have stopped him from watching several different types of videos but there are other ones that are really cool and entertaining.

For example, he was watching one where a guy was super into fish. He would order all sorts of exotic ones and do a little demo showing them off and talking about them a bit. He would also go to local areas and catch fish. Identify them and talk about them a bit. Always enthusiastic about the fish. My son was starting to identify them and talk about them as well (which is good because his mom has a degree in fish biology). He was generally happy watching and learning.

Another example is him and the neighbor kid get into watching these "workout" videos. Basically they show two different treats or something on the screen and ask which one do they like better. Whichever one they choose they then have to do the exercise assigned to that for the next 30 seconds.

Yes, there is a boat load of absolute shit on YouTube. Mainly people pretending to eat shit and speak way too loud at the camera. But there is also a lot of good content as well. It takes some effort but you can certainly help weed out the shit and be left with the good stuff.

@thommu We do youtube (in addition to bluey, PBS kids, etc), but it's very locked down. There's literally only 2 channels we show stuff from. Auto-play is 300% not a thing.

@hr_19 Once I switched to only using YouTube kids for my kiddo it was an absolute game changer. I highly recommend it if any dad is looking to wean or pair down what their kiddo is watching. There is some wild stuff out there that’s “supposed” to be for kids but feels like it’s something out of A Clockwork Orange.

Back