UPDATE: I (24) recently found out I have a 5yo son I never knew about and now he lives with me

@mercantilewriter I can't imagine your shock
Simple advice...
Kids have tremendous feelings but what is hard is when they are scared. Watch him for cues.. seems like you are already. Don't feel bad when you mess up make him cry.. because you will. Give him everything but keep boundaries because you don't want to become a pushover.
Otherwise you are just doing great from the sounds of it. I wish you boys the best. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions you may not want to post publicly.

@mercantilewriter What a nice father you sound like! This boy is lucky to have you and you have a bond for life!

I would get your mom on board asap as you are going to want to talk about parenting topics with someone.

@mercantilewriter Such a blessing ❤️❤️❤️
He needs to know two things .
That you will always love him
And you will always be there for him everything else will come with time . Patients are definitely needed. In fact 5 is one of my favorite years of my children it’s a great age.

@mercantilewriter This is so heartwarming!

It won’t be easy, and there will be times you will want to pull out your hair, but you’re going to be a great father and you will make a real difference in this world by caring for this sweet soul.
Good job dad! All the best to you and your son!

Please update us once you tell your mom. I bet she will be excited and immediately settle into grandma life with her new grandson :)

Back