Toys with staying power

@facundo Giant foam blocks like these. We’ve had these since my eldest was a toddler. My kids are 7 & 11, and they still drag them out sometimes.

My 11 year old still plays with Legos and magnet tiles too (so does my 45 year old husband).

@facundo We have a 4 year old (f) and a one year old (m). And lots of gifted toys. The things that are most popular here are:
- Duplo (the bigger version of lego blocks, which makes them suitable for smaller children too)
- Schleich animals. They are one piece each and rather expensive if you have to buy them new. The smaller animals aren’t suited for smaller children, but the bigger ones (cows, horses, sheep) are safe afaik.
- Wooden blocks. Both children still enjoy building things out of them (my 4 year old actually enjoys building with these more than with Duplo, she lets her father build with Duplo and then she plays stories with those buildings) and the eldest builds things for her younger brother to topple.
- An exercise ball. Both children enjoy slapping it to make a sound and the eldest likes to roll over it and use it to practice her balance.
- As an odd one out: window stickers. They are fun for young children to look at and point and name, our eldest likes to rearrange them and tell a story that way. You can also use them in the bath and we have a couple placed strategically on the big window as we used to have birds flying into it.

@desaran My kids argued that the animals were a toy with staying power, but I argued back that just because they were using them this week, that didn't mean they played with them every week.

An exercise ball is definitely a fun toy!

@facundo Maybe it is just that my eldest does nothing but tell stories all day. So every object with a bit of personality is a character in her stories. And she has been playing with them for most of the time since we got a shallow ikea trofast container full of them. And the youngest has been exploring them ever since he first started making his way across the floor. But I can see how it depends on the children. We recently had a friend of my daughter’s over and he didn’t give them a second glance.

@facundo Doctor set. Started at 2.5ish, but still going strong 3 years later. It has been growing, including some real items such as a used anaesthetic mask after a hospital visit. Most recent addition is a stethoscope that actually works: a lot of fun and learning opportunities.

Big cardboard boxes never stop being fun. They can be turned into houses, boats, airplanes and more. They're a bit more rare (I don't buy new washing machines that regularly) so it's always an event when one shows up. Some assistance is needed at the start to get the basics going, but after that they can play/build/improve/decorate by themselves. This also is great recycling of waste materials.

@facundo Pirate chest and treasure (coins and fake gems) have had such staying power in our house (going on probably 5 years of popularity).

Set of dominos for building domino lines (could use regular ones but these have more heft).

Science “stuff” (collected from a few sets basically just random plastic beakers glasses tongs and funnels)

@facundo Agree with all of these, at least the ones we have. We went for a balance bike instead of scooter and it had been worth it’s weight in gold. Magna tiles, Lego, play scarves, wooden train tracks, matchbox cars, little people toys have all also been huge hits here.

@facundo K’nex. I have mine from probably over 20 years ago, I got it out for my kids and three years later they still play with them daily and very few have broken. Negative side effect: I find pieces EVERYWHERE.

@facundo Micro kick boards are the best. They even have adult scooters. When I lived in NYC we took the scooters everywhere. They are perfect for when you have a ways to walk and don’t want to take a stroller.

Back