Toys with staying power

facundo

My kids are now 10 and 7. I thought I'd make a short list of toys they still play with almost every week, along with (approximately) when we received them. Feel free to add your own!

Age 2 (and 0): Silk play scarves. Yes, they still get these out almost every day.

Age 4 (and 1): Micro kickboard. Honestly, my youngest was using this at age 2. We've run over ours twice, it survived the second time, but you can order repair parts through the company.

Age 5 (and 3): Magnet Tiles. We were lucky to be gifted a TON of these, probably $300 worth. Worth every penny. But do not give if kids are still putting things in their mouths, these magnets can be terribly dangerous if swallowed.

Age 6 (and 4): Fort Building Kit.

Age 6 (and 4): Knock-off LEGO blocks. Seriously, a huge collection of these, plus a set focusing on car parts and windows/doors is so fantastic.

Age 7: Nerf. Unlike LEGO, I feel like knock-off Nerf aren't as good, specifically all the knock-offs we've tried really hurt when you're shot close-up.

Those are pretty much the toys that have shown staying power. Others, like our wooden blocks, still come out from time to time, but they don't get the play I see from the above. We have tons and tons of books too, but since we can check out up to 100 at a time from our library, we mostly just do that.

@facundo I second the play scarves, but a warning - if you have smooth laminate floors, they are death traps if you step on them. We had to banish ours to the only carpeted room in the house because they would get left on the floor and your feet will rocket out from under you if you step on one.

Also, I'm a lego purist, and the knock off stuff is NOT as good. The real stuff is worth the money! It will last forever, the resale value is excellent, and their quality standards are seriously impressive. I swear I'm not a corporate shill, just a big fan :D

I think our longest-lasting toys are pots and pans from IKEA. Super cheap, durable, and washable, and the kids keep going back to them for impressively creative things.

@karole Someone in my neighborhood was giving away two big tubs of Megablocks and I grabbed them. Then I bought a Lego Duplo truck set to compare (also because trucks).

There is no comparison!

My daughter can make a huge stack of the Duplos and lift it up by the top. The Megablocks will break apart in 5 different places. Their tolerances are just shit. And the Legos just feel so much smoother and nicer.

I've bought all the Duplos since, and I'll give the Megablocks away.

@karole I give silk play scarves at every first birthday party. My girls (age 7 and 4) still play with them daily. They’re dress up and blankets and slings for wounds and capes and picnics and table cloths and honestly I forget what all else.

@facundo Wooden train tracks. My 7 year olds lose interest in Hotwheels tracks within a week of receiving them, but the old wooden train tracks always come back out. And they're still in good condition, so the baby can play with them next year.

@facundo Magna tiles and Picasso tiles are compatible with one another and the Picasso brand ones are almost half the price. You can tell the quality is lower but my son is quite rough with them and none have broken. They are just a little scuffed.

@facundo Good idea!

I love how my kid and niece have been playing and loving the exact same toys that my siblings and I played with.

They had years of fun. We had years of fun. So great!

Legos and duplos.

Bobby Car. Even so we have been using them for racing until our late teens.

Sturdy scooter with small luggage rack

Schleich and Ostheimer Animals.

Playmobil trucks and cars.

Matchbox style cars

A really sturdy doll stroller and doll bed have been stage probs and transportation for kids, dogs and everything that fit.

We never had play silks, but a collection of old "fancy" scarves with colours and textures from several decades of fashion. But like play silks they were so versatile and fun.

Kites. We just never stopped using those. It's too much fun.

@facundo We have knock off magna tiles and my kids adore them. We actually keep them on the fridge which I do not recommend because I think we have some stuck under it. The knock off Legos are also great.

My big recommendation is plastic animals and dinosaurs. Schleich or papo ect if your feeling fancy, but the cheap ones get just as much love. The hollow kind will get water in them though so be careful taking those in the bath or outside. We have twenty year old dinosaurs in our collection that came from my nephews. They hold up and my kids love them. Especially the big ones and the very small ones.

Another is squishmallows or the TY version. I am seriously considering replacing our throw pillows with them. They are so cozy and machine washable. Each kid has probably five in a variety of sizes. They are great for cuddles, pillow fights, decoration, whatever. I could see them hoarding these for a while to come.

I made a set of building blocks that has been a hit as well. They are just wine boxes covered in duct tape. I think Melissa and Doug make something similar if you don't just have a bunch of wine boxes laying around.

My kids are 2.5 and 6. These are the things I would happily buy(or make) again and definitely see lasting.

@facundo Musical instruments

Melissa and Doug ice cream shop (ages 0-8+, every kid who has been over wants to play with this)

Hear me out, there's thisB Toys dog guitar has been a hit with both our kids from age 8 months to 4 years and counting and its not that annoying to adults! An electric toy that's actually great!

Back