Toddler plates & bowls - Plastic? "Bamboo" (aka melamine)? Actual bamboo/wood? Something else? What does your family use?

tobiahjude99

My 2yo has outgrown suction plates. I have long needed to get him actual toddler plates, cups, and bowls. I was resisting buying plastic. I don't know why.

On Amazon I saw "bamboo" platewear. Perfect! I hit buy.

I love them! Soft colors, kinda like plastic but have a much nicer porcelain-like smooth feeling to the touch, come out of the dishwasher actually dry (!!).....

.... Huh, this material seems kinda familiar.... what's it called again...

Melamine! AGH! Of course they are melamine!!!!! Why did I think they were "just" wood; they are grey and pink and cream. 🤦

I have read the FDA page on melamine & foods. I am not super reassured.

Is this a wild worry? Am I being unreasonable? Do you think melamine is more concerning than other plastic dishes and cups?

Is it wholely illogical to instead use "I PrOmIsE OuR PlAsTiC Is SaFeR!" platewear (example: Mushie) instead?

Are all plastics/polymers like, equally concerning to you? Or equally a "best of bad choices" when it comes to kids plates?

What do you use for your kids? Actual wood? Do I give up on dishwasher safe?

Help! I don't know how crunchy to be about this decision.

EDITING TO ADD -- wow y'all thank you so much!! I know nothing about plates - literally nothing - I will get us some Corelle!

Part of this struggle is that we need new adult plateware too, my heavy Target porcelain is chipped, easily breaks and is just not the right option. There are other choices! I just needed some hand holding. Thank you all.

@tobiahjude99 Even bamboo plates are filled with glue. The real issue with all of these materials is when they get scratched, even metal water bottles.

Maybe just let your kids use the adult plates? Yes it makes a big mess when it’s broken, but that’s life and kids learn from mistakes.

The Montessori way is using child size versions of adult things. Small drinking glasses, small plates, small cutlery. It’s super cute and honestly feels better than plastic.

@stacey7 We use regular (ceramic) plates for our 2 year old and have used them for the last year. She eats off the small ones, not the full sized dinner plates, but I think it’s helped her have a better relationship with food and eating overall. She’s actually never broken or thrown one!

@jomary This is the way. I use thrifted ceramic mugs and plates and avoid glass or China as it shatters into a million sharp invisible pieces in the event of an accident… but stoneware ceramic or even corelle is sturdy and breaks in like 3 easy pieces, so it’s no big deal to clean up, and little kids like handles on mugs.

@stacey7 I mean- yeah - my kid unloads and loads the dishwasher, and brings his dishes to clean up. He already uses our glasses. We don't really have baby size ones, if I bought some it would just be to match as a set better lol. He has small stainless cutlery just like ours. It's mostly plates & bowls.

I guess I just assumed "learning" by dropping them and breaking a toe or slicing himself was not by definition part of the Montessori process. But maybe it is. Do Montessori schools use glass or porcelain plates for their students to eat off? I assumed small versions would be plastic.

Maybe I'm overthinking this? I'm feeling like the right call is maybe just to get smaller porcelain plates than the heavy things we have now.

@tobiahjude99 One of the activities for children Maria Montessori implemented was flower arranging, using a real glass vase. Another item typically found in the room would be child sized broom and dustpan. However this is not needed as much as you would expect.

@hope10 That's so interesting re the glass vases!!

My guy has a dustpan, broom and brush. He needs it every day for crumbs & accidental food drops. 🤣 I've been asking him to clean up when he makes a mess. He loves to try. We're still working on getting things he sweeps, actually into the dustpan... A for effort, F for execution right now...

@tobiahjude99 The first daycare we used followed Waldorf which I'd kind of similar to Montessori + creative play. They had a cool on site and used ceramic plates and real glasses. They were kind of thick ones, think the small glasses you may find at an old lady house, and kids ate at little tables in a carpeted room so even if something fell it was unlikely to break.

@katehunt977 I second this! Many people already have them and they can be found in thrift stores too. Word of caution for older Corelle with painted edges: some of these have lead paint so it's best to test them

@dbaileys Maybe!! He loves to unload stainless pan lids from the dishwasher so I'm sure he wouldn't object to a plate. I didn't even know they existed. This thread has given me many helpful options to consider.

Back