Tell me I’m not a bad parent

@dan54fis I honestly believe that with more programs like Ms Rachel or Hey Bear we’re going to see that there are types of screen time that are fine

Like I’ve seen studies that show kids who watched Sesame Street between the ages of 3-5 performed better than average than their peers academically. Probably because Sesame Street is “high value programming” it engages children in a way that’s developmentally appropriate for them

And with the current research around screen time there wasn’t anything catering towards infants and young toddlers so these studies weren’t done with tv programs that were developmentally appropriate

Stimulating your baby doesn’t happen in a day, hell it doesn’t even happen in a week or a month. All that matters is that you make time to actively engage with your little one so they can learn their milestones. If some programming that’s designed for their age group is thrown in there from time to time who cares

@dan54fis That amount of caring and effort is what great parenting is about. It’s surprising how tough parenting can be when your LO is sick. Hang in there and know you’re doing great

@dan54fis My kids get a ton a screentime and they are thriving. Learned a bunch of songs from Ms Rachel. Don't feel bad. In moderation screens aren't the worst thing, especially educational stuff like Ms Rachel.

Other low stimulation shows are Bluey, Trash Truck, Puffin Rock, Daniel Tiger, etc.

@dan54fis Sounds like a really well cared for baby 🥰 you’re doing great.
Poor bean though. myself and my LO aren’t feeling too hot right now either and we def watched alot of ms. Rachel today. Hugs

@dan54fis Do NOT feel bad. My baby when she was a newborn had diaper rash so many times till we found out she was allergic to Huggies. Huggies were the only ones giving her the rash. So when I had to air it out. I placed her in her portable tub and put the veggies in to distract her from the pain. Yeah she cried but then she went back to watching. It was a relief for gym ears. And also Mrs. Rachel is like learning at home. Like Sesame Street but better.

@dan54fis To help with the diaper rash - use a hair blow dryer on low/cool to dry him out at every diaper change, our doctor recommended no dairy and switching to lactose free milk for a week apparently lactose absorbs more water into the colon, cuturelle probiotics to replenish his gut bacteria. I mix it into baby cereal.

@dan54fis Nothing to feel bad about here. It sounds like you both had a long, rough day. If Ms Rachel makes you and baby happy, let it be. Is ice cream the healthiest thing for my child to eat? No, but we enjoy it and it makes us happy. No big deal ❤️

@dan54fis Look, my son watches TV every day and he's almost 6 months. We ALSO spend hours playing, reading tummy time, etc. He's ahead of his learning curve as well. Your baby watching TV is okay, trust me. Your a good mom

@dan54fis You did a perfect job mom ❤️ I often tap out watching my show while she’s on the floor playing and even she watches it here and there too, it is what it is I guess. Mental health is priority ❤️❤️❤️hugs and good vibes your way we’re all in this together ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@dan54fis My kid is 2 and we did a lot of ms Rachel, caties classroom, and other developmental shows. She can count to 20, say her abc’s, can ask and answer full sentence questions, and she’s potty trained. I personally think “too much screen time” is a scare tactic
It’s okay for them to have screen time, and it’s okay when you have off days! As long as you interact with them during the day everything will be okay! You need a break too! Keep doing what you’re doing❤️

@dan54fis My 21 month old recently had hand foot mouth disease and the tv was on 90% of the time. I have zero guilt. Keeps her calm and keeps me sane

She doesn’t get any tv at all when she’s healthy so I feel like illness is when she catches up

@dan54fis You deserve a break too… who cares if your kid watches tv for a little bit. Our parents used to plop us in front of the tv for MANY hours at a time. Our generation is doing so much better.

@dan54fis Your doing great! A lot of babies get diarrhea due to teething too mines sure did! Get you a tub of buttpaste, it’s the best ! Screen time isn’t so terrible I typically put something on tv that I know my toddler will learn from .She’s 3 now and she will talk to you about anything, and a lot more than some kids her age so eh don’t worry !

@dan54fis Screen time may be proven to be bad for cognitive development, but we live in an age where avoiding screens is impossible. And you also have to remember, no one tells you HOW bad screen time is. Ima go dig through some research papers, but I'm betting it's not as bad as people say. People make it sound like screen time is worse than death!!

Also think of it this way, what's worse for a kid; a bit of screen time, or a parent who is so stressed that they can't properly bond with their child?

Even with a baby, your health comes first. If you aren't in a good state of mind, you can't always give your baby what they want/need. But when you leave time for self care, you'll be happier, your baby will be happier, and those feelings are much more important than screen time, ya know?

@dan54fis I forget where I saw it, but something really stuck with me. Screentime is an issue when it’s what kids are getting instead of more valuable ways to spend the time. So, if they’re always watching tv and never interacting with parents or reading or even having an opportunity to be bored, it can become an issue. If the alternative of what you’d be doing instead of screentime is going crazy, it’s worth it. During travel and “sick” days, I think there’s no limit. If they’re overstimulated or there come other behavioral issues along with it, the content and amount can probably be tweaked but long story short - don’t feel bad. It can be a tool for parents just like anything else. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@dan54fis I watched so much tv growing up and I still love to read and am a well rounded adult. I sometimes have to put something on for my 4 month old to watch so I can pump. It’s 15 min max (usually Bluey cause that’s fun for both of us)

I definitely will never give him an iPad or cell phone to play with (as of right now lol) but I’ve conceded that tv time is just gonna be normal in our household as long as there’s moderation.

You’re doing a great job.

@dan54fis There was nothing better when I was a kid, being sick and just having a lazy day, recovering and taking my mind off feeling like shit. Kid needs a break too, even if they're 9 months old. It's a one off and if you think you're a bad parent for doing this, I don't even know what to say but that's just utterly silly.