Single Dad, with 2 girls...please help with hair!

hrse2wtr

Fulltime-single dad here. I have two sweet girls...4 year old and 7 year old.
For years I've been brushing their long hair with a part to the side. A pony tail, or pig tails, are about as creative as I can get.

Does anyone know where I can go to learn how to do braids, buns, or creative designs with their hair? I have 0 creativity, but I'm good at working off of a template! Is there a popular style? Technique? Time hacks? I hate to think that they look like their dad did their hair...can anyone help me fake it till I make it?

@hrse2wtr Can't recommend this enough. Phil is an awesome guy and he is raising an amazing daughter. He's really good about answering questions. He's also got a bunch of tutorials on youtube.

@sunshine74 Awesome. I was hesitant about sharing your username because I don't know you. I've seen a few of your posts though about hair class, figured OP would want to know about your hair classes.

@hrse2wtr Youtube is your friend. My daughter find tutorials on there. Some are better than others.

My daughter and I really enjoy the tutorials from Cute Girls Hairstyles. They have tonnes of different styles to try. She also watches their other video blog stuff.

I also found the ladies at Luxy Hairstyles provide good explanations

I suggest to learn the basic technique for French/Dutch braids and go from there. I much prefer the look of the Dutch braid over the French, as the braid sits on the outside of the head.

We both really enjoy doing this together. I look forward to trying new things and improving my technique. I finally got the hang of double dutch braids.

@sarahcopeland Thanks! You're speaking my language here. My oldest wants to be more creative than the pony tail, but it took me a year of trial and error to even get the finger dexterity down on high, tight pony tails.
I've bookmarked CGH and subscribed to Luxy...thanks again!

@sunshine74 I did, thanks for your helpful vids! It's interesting (see: frustrating) that my oldest has really think hair. It's beautiful, but difficult to work with. I was able to do pig tail braids after about 45 minutes of trial and error, but I just can't get the buns to stay in place...even with 3-4 pins. I also noticed that when I put the pins through, they really open up...like an alligator mouth. Am I doing something wrong? Should they stay relatively closed, or open up that way?

@hrse2wtr I actually learned a new way to secure buns that I'll be showing in our tutorial this Wednesday. The goal is to get a bun that stays in through the day. Lol. I'll update you here with the link once it's up or you can see it on my Facebook/ YouTube channels :)

@hrse2wtr I'm at work so I can't find the link here but if you search youtube for "dad daughter hair" there's a channel with these two same-sex dads that teach you how to do hair. They have different levels of difficulty but even the bigger stuff is impressive.

@hrse2wtr Same boat, but one daughter.

A local salon did a month long event for dads & daughters, each saturday. Different techniques and stuff taught. We missed going, couldn't afford it, but I've been hoping to see another or convince another salon to do it as well. You might try calling a few local independent salons to see if they can organize something similar.

@hrse2wtr I just want to say this is wonderful!!!
My dad was a single parent, too, when I came along. My older sisters taught him how to do pony tails and even braid. He was so gentle with my hair every time he did it. Having a daughter of my own now.. I just know grandpa will be a-ok with hair duty if he ever has to.

Your daughters are going to grow up and think on what you did to help them out with their hair. Bless you!