Preschool Graduation at 9:30am

@mozarella I work in a tiny district and start teaching my students in kindergarten. One class, I had taught since 4th grade. I was also their class advisor and grew quite close to the kids and their families (one student even babysat for me after she graduated). However, I missed their graduation since I was giving birth to my twins. I remember that I missed their graduation. The students don’t (I was even supposed to receive a rose from each student during the rose ceremony). Its okay to miss student events for your childrens’. Your kids will only have one pre k graduation. You will attend multiple high school graduations through your career. If you teach in a large school, both you and the students may forget about each other. Always go to your kids’ events without guilt.

@daffodilia Absolutely. My colleagues miss class all the time for things like this, even if it’s a holiday celebration or the last day of school. And I will too when my little guy is old enough.

@borisv My husband is a teacher, and yes the students are important, but I find it kind of toxic how they are expected to sacrifice their personal lives for their students.

My husband was in the hospital for something serious last fall. The doctor recommended 3 weeks off work after he was discharged, and he felt so guilty for his students he almost returned right away, which is ridiculous.

In this case, her own kid should come before her students. You wouldn't tell another parent to put a job before their kid's graduation.

@godsgirlox My husband was the same when he was a teacher. When our first was born three days before the end of the school year, he had multiple parents emailing him to ask that he come back those last three days and for an evening promotion ceremony. A couple were genuinely mad when he wasn't there the last day and wrote the principal. We literally had just had our first baby. Parents are insane and entitled. I'm very glad he's left the classroom.

@borisv Her kid deserves to have their parents there. Imagine being 4 years old and not having your mom or dad when everyone else has their parents there. Your kid will be fine if their teacher misses the last day of school. You have a really selfish point of view.

@chewy I was simply offering a different perspective. If the suggestion was for her to take the day off and let her students know she wouldn’t be there then I wouldn’t have said anything. I’m not sure how my response came across as selfish, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

@borisv With her being a parent, I think it would be really crappy to do to her child. I just know her child would be heartbroken if they thought they would see their mom at their graduation and then she wasn’t there for them.

Do you get it now? A teacher has to put their family first. Just like everyone should put their family over their job.

@borisv I’ve missed the first day of school and the last day of school because of my kids. My students aren’t my kids and they won’t remember their teacher wasn’t there but my own children will remember if I missed their event

@duke87 As a teacher, on the last day I have to do a bunch of end of year check out stuff. If you don’t complete it, your summer checks can be held. Don’t know if OP is in a similar boat, but I would be wary of missing the last day as well.

@karenseeker No, they can’t. You already worked the contact hours for checks you get in the summer. HR cannot just withhold checks for hours already worked. Honestly if they did that you’d have such a fantastic lawsuit on your hand…it’d be better if they did. Don’t fall for the empty threats they give teachers. I’ve never even heard of that happening ever in real life

@jannet1 Right?! I’m sorry but who cares! It’s freaking pre school! That’s not a graduation! I dont know why but I am irrationally bothered by all this lol

@shi Agreed. Not to split hairs but if you don’t receive a degree or diploma it’s not a graduation. It’s sweet to observe the children moving on but the pressure on parents to prioritize it like an actual graduation is dumb.

Back