Preschool Graduation at 9:30am

@jannet1 I vaguely remember my kindergarten graduation... it was in like...1990, I think? 91, maybe? Time is fuzzy. But the kindergarten was not attached to the public school, either, they integrated that about 6 years later.

That said, my son was super mad because he had a kindergarten graduation, but not a 1st grade graduation (despite my telling him that it didn't work that way).

@courtney1980 I’m happy you are well adjusted, but this is not great advice. As a former Director who has hosted many pre-k graduations- I can guarantee OP’s kid will be very sad to not see anyone in the audience supporting them. Of course, they’ll eventually get over it, but that will likely be an incredibly sad day for them as they watch everyone else’s’ family show up for them and feel left out. OP, if you can’t go, can you send someone else? Grandparent, sibling, aunt/uncle, close friend- anyone who your child can connect with in the audience while they give the very first performance of their life?

My events were always after hours too, sorry to hear your school made such a terrible scheduling decision.

@countryelder This!! My parents always had work during my award ceremonies/school events growing up. My grandma would go instead. I was still supported, and it led to a really close relationship with her.

@countryelder This- if you can go yourself, try to send someone else. I moved around my work schedule to attend our daycare’s Mother’s Day party a few weeks ago (at freaking 10:30am on a workday). Many of the kiddos whose mothers weren’t there were crying. It broke my heart to see, and I wish they didn’t do these things so often to put parents in a tough spot. The kids who had an aunt or grandma there were just fine.

And THANK YOU for always hosting off-hours!

@katrina2017 I feel like if the daycare can only hold a Mother's Day party at 10:30am on a workday, they should not hold it at all. Way to go creating stress and guilt over a thing that is not necessary in the first place. I'm a working parent who could never take off for a thing like that, so it would = straight-up Mother's Day shit sandwich for me, and I'm sure for many of the other mothers too.

@chauncywilltheologian 100% agreed. I felt incredibly lucky that I have the work flexibility to shift my schedule around to attend. But that’s really the right way to feel either, is it? Am I “incredibly lucky” to work the night before to offset the time I’m away, hop in the car while I’m on a work call, hang up 5 minutes early to head in and finger paint with my toddlers surrounded by their devastated friends and then my kids end up in tears an hour later because I’m not staying there the whole day? Thanks for the Mother’s Day gift. Next year, please give me a high-five after drop-off and let’s call it a day.

@searchingforchrist In my district, educators got a child involvement day code we can use for absences for graduations/promotion ceremonies, no questions asked. They always send an email out around the end of the year to remind educators that are also parents to take the leave. Take the leave.

@searchingforchrist Elementary school will be worse. You don't realize because you are there every day and you're ready for it. But it's worse. Omg. Every month there's something. We get by with a wish and a prayer like waiting for God's miracles. Oh and you'll get the bus schedule the day before school starts. Welcome to the club. Good luck.

@dalejohnson I would have thought the opposite. Better to have it early afternoon (say 2pm). That way, most parents would take their kids home after graduation. It's so odd to have it at 10am.

Back