Postpartum running

dudgurqkqh

I’m looking for advice about starting a running habit postpartum. I’d like to start doing 5/10k again.

For background, I was an avid runner probably 10-12 years ago but since then have drifted into other sports/workouts. I have been moderately active during my pregnancy, mostly weightlifting and walking. I plan on starting with Hal Higdons couch to 5/10k program. But, part of the reason I didn’t run during pregnancy was because my boobs just got so huge and they were uncomfortable and I do plan to breastfeed.

So, when do you start? 6 weeks? Are there special bras? Should I mix in weights b/c of pelvic floor concerns?

Ty in advance everyone!

@dudgurqkqh Your pelvic floor most likely won’t be ready for running at 6 weeks. I wouldn’t consider until 12 weeks, and even then I would work with pelvic floor PT to rehab and clear for running. Take it slow. Running puts tremendous pressure on your pelvic floor; even professional runners return to the sport SLOWLY postpartum.

@anth987 Thirding this! 12 weeks is the recommendation I've seen and what I went by for running & jumping. I was walking right after birth and started working out more intensely after my checkup at 7 weeks, but still didn't run/jump.

I was an avid Orangetheory goer and hiker and walker before and during pregnancy.

@dudgurqkqh That's a good goal to have :) I don't run a lot, but I am returning to exercise after a moderately active pregnancy and a pretty easy labour, so I'll share my experience.

Running isn't the first thing I could do, exercise-wise. While walking, yoga, swimming and even HIIT workouts were fine 6-8 weeks after delivery, running (and jumping) still hurt my pelvic floor. I think I would be ready for my first run around 3 months postpartum. I would work with a pelvic floor PT to make sure I wouldn't accidentally do harm to my pelvic floor.

I don't know if you want to breastfeed, but the she-fit bra is an amazing sports bra in general (very secure) and gives easy access to the boob when you need to nurse your baby. It's not the cheapest bra, but there are lots of dupes out there, so that might be a good alternative.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

@katrina2017 This is great advice. And yes, paying more for a nice nursing sports bra or two is worth it!

OP, if you're starting a new routine, I also recommend sitting down with your spouse to map out weekly running times and how you'll do childcare. And consider a running stroller for when baby is 6 months and up!

@grandpa4 I've also seen this paper highly recommended. If I'm not mistaken one of the co-authors is occasionally on reddit! I'm currently running during my pregnancy and plan on following this very closely postpartum along with pelvic floor PT.

@miralha Here! Love seeing it shared since that was what it was created for! It took a ton of work but the reality is it doesn’t mean much if people don’t know it exists, so always thankful to see these comments. Best of luck with your pregnancy and recovery!

@justinebassowooa Ahhhh hi! Seriously so grateful for this resource, thank you for making it. I shared it with the pelvic floor physio I'm seeing during pregnancy and she also thought it was fantastic so hopefully those of us who use it can help spread the word.

@dudgurqkqh I'd start run/walking around 12 weeks. Having a good core and pelvic floor routine before then will help. I did some gentle stretching and core work right away. Then walking. I added some bodyweight and resistance training around 6 weeks. Then added some one legged exercises and hopping/jumping around 8 weeks to prep for running

@dudgurqkqh I’m still pregnant and running (34w) but my Pelvic floor PT (who is a DPT) told me that after labor we should aim to wait 12 weeks to start back running. Reason being hormones don’t stabilize until then and you can actually not have prolapse symptoms from labor, but develop it after if you go back to impact exercises too early I’ll be seeing her 6w postpartum but the goal up until then is to build up to 3 miles of continuous walking.

I have a feeling this will be mentally really hard for me but I am committed to sticking to the timeline and want to get back healthy even if it means waiting a few extra weeks. Plenty of other things i can do in the mean time like swim/peloton/easy yoga etc

@dudgurqkqh I’m 4 months post partum and my body still feels broken. My groin and inner thigh muscles are shot from bouncing baby in arms all the time… and getting up off bed/couch/floor holding baby… there’s no way I can train for running

Putting that out there because you don’t know what kind of baby you’ll have

My obgyn cleared me at 6w… so as others said work with a pelvic floor pt bc obgyns aren’t trained in fitness

@dudgurqkqh You can’t decide right now when you will start running again. Your labor and body will decide that for you post-partum. I ran until my third tri but baby did a number on my pelvic floor and I couldn’t run until 11 months PP.

@dudgurqkqh The general recommendation is to wait at least 12 weeks until running, and focus on progressive strengthening before you get to that point. In practice, I think a lot of women need longer to return to running safely after delivery. This video discusses a bit about what exactly needs to happen before a return to running postpartum and might be helpful!

Back