Please tell me what to add to my stash to make overnights stress-free (currently using disposables at night)

mj82

I’ve posted here before when I was thinking of starting overnight cloth diapering, but it didn’t work out so I’m back for more advice.

We cloth diaper in daytime only right now. We tried over night cloth diapering for a few nights, and I don’t know if it was a coincidence or not, but we had a few rough nights. There was one particular night where I did the largest size of grovia prefolds with a stay dry booster, and ended up having to do a middle of the night diaper change, as it got super wet and he wouldn’t go back to sleep. I’m too nervous to mess up sleep, so we’ve been doing disposables over night since then, but I’d like to get back to cloth if I can find something that will keep him feeling dry.

I’ve listed my current stash below - I was wondering if anyone could recommend what I could add to beef it up for overnight? Honestly I’d rather buy something that’s overkill than risk having disrupted nights again. He requires a booster in the daytime so I’m thinking I need a lot of absorbancy over night.

Current stash:
  • 7 hybrid grovia shells
  • 8 organic cotton grovia snap ins
  • 1 stay dry grovia snap in
  • 1 Grovia ONE (AIO) diaper (microfibre)
  • 1 grovia OS AIO Diaper (organic cotton)
  • 6 small thirsties organic cotton doublers
  • 3 large thirsties stay dry doublers
  • 9 grovia prefolds (3 infant size, 3 infant long size, 3 toddler size) - only the toddler size fit with the snappi, the smaller ones we just place in the diaper but don’t use as often.
  • I also use bamboo liners to catch solids most of the time
Baby is 12 months old.

@mj82 We love the rumparoos 6r soaker and overnighted soaker for 12 hr sleep. The diaper is packed but it keeps her dry! Baby is 4.5 months. We use bum genius during day

@mj82 You can literally layer up anything until it's absorbant enough without buying a thing. You just need to understand that it's going to be buky and get past that. Had that issue with my son trying a bunch of new things and it never worked out. With my second it dawned on me what a massive waste of money that is. Just double or triple up what you have and call it a day, or stick with the disposables.
Another option: tuck a maxi pad or two into the cloth. It is slightly trimmer than a cloth option if you want that but if you do that you could almost just keep using a disposable no differently(unless like me you are pregnant and have a ton of maxi pads just sitting there unused lol).

@mj82 We use a mother ease Sandy’s fitted + thick bamboo or hemp booster + wool cover + loose pul cover. I couldn’t get the wool to work well enough on its own (my baby sleeps for ~12 hours straight). I don’t try to get the wool cover fully inside the pul cover, I just stick the pul on top for added coverage in the front, since he sleeps on his front. This combo has been working great!

@mj82 My favorite overnight diapers are ✨️Pooters hemp overnight fitteds✨

I've also had success with The Blythe Life Fixed Flats (heavy wetter absorbency).

Twinkie Tush Nights Nights have also worked too.

@mj82 We just tried out the new smart bottoms pull on diaper for overnights. Loved it so much I bought more! I use the included overnight booster along with an overnight fleece/hemp insert from GMD to keep LO dry and absorb some extra pee overnight. She’s a heavy wetter and these things last all night! Easy to put on and off too. If you’re still dealing with nighttime/early morning poops though I’d imagine pull on could be a bit of a mess. Also their smallest size is 18/24 months, so depending on how big your babe is they may or may not be too large.

@mj82 So I am based in Europe. The advice in my country is usually to buy a dedicated fitted for nighttime. They are quite bulky but work really well. Then cover them with a wool cover or looser fit cover. We personally use the Lulu nature dodo diapers which we stuff with the the provided insert and a prefold and use a lulu nature boxer cover. Other people swear by Anavy night with a wool cover.

@mj82 We do a prefold with a hemp booster in a PUL cover. We do EC, so we try to get one more pee in between bath and bedtime. Sometimes in the morning she wakes up dry and then goes for her morning potty time. Babe is about 15 months.

@erics Nice. We dabble in EC a bit but mostly just after he wakes up. For pee, we haven’t tried much at other times of day.

@mj82 Pooters Super Soakers (hemp fitted) + Disana pull-on wool cover has been pretty bomb proof for us. We have 5 of the fitteds (could get by on 3) and 2 covers.

@kyukca Question- do you use only the disana cover over the super soaker or do you have a pul type cover over the fitted and then the disana over that?

@mj82 I’m in a similar situation and just starting to use cloth overnight, like just this week we started. The first few nights she started in a cloth diaper but if she needed a middle of the night change it was into a disposable. What has worked well for the past couple night is an esembly fitted with a prefold pad folded as a booster and a stay dry liner all in an esembly cover (although any would work). With this system last night it was 8 hours without a diaper change (one wake up like 2 hours into sleep and the diaper wasn’t wet). The thing was soaked in the morning but no leaks and baby didn’t seem bothered by it. I just ordered some cloth eez workhorses (medium) so we’ll see how those work!

I’ll be reading all the replies to this post to see what others recommend!

@mj82 What works for us overnight are extra large muslin flats with hemp doublers. You could also try workhorses. But you’re going to want either a flat or fitter diaper that’s going to give you absorbency all around, and that you can then bulk up with either your doublers or trifolded prefolds (or both, depending on how much absorbency you need). Hemp holds a lot but is trimmer than cotton, so it’s a good option if you want to buy a few more doublers. If baby is used to a disposable, you might try the doublers with the stay dry liner that you already have next to baby’s skin.

A lot of people, us included, love wool covers for overnight. We preferred babeegreens snap covers to the disanas. Lanolize liberally.

@mj82 You really need a hemp fitted for overnight at your baby’s age. I don’t think you’ve got anything in your stash now that’s going to cut it. I love pooter’s super soaker’s.