Parenting discussion w/ husband

@torrance55 FYI, I think you meant to say “authoritarian house”. Authoritative would be another word for gentle parenting (when done properly, ie not permissive). Easily to confuse though for two words that mean the opposite!

@gavenv This is 21st century and amazing in first world countries with access to unlimited educational resources still act in a manner reminiscent of the previous generation

@gavenv I don’t agree with spanking in general, but even if I was going to plan for a harm reduction strategy I would NEVER consider spanking a kid that young, especially for behavior that is clearly just age appropriate stuff you have to work through. I remember being spanked at the age of maybe 7, because I hit my older sister on purpose so hard I gave her a bloody nose. I don’t remember it actually hurting, but it was extremely clear all around how not ok that was.

My point is, spanking isn’t like yelping when a puppy nips you, in no scenario are you spanking a baby for any reason whatsoever.

Edit to say I never hit my sister again, but honestly that was the one time I fought back and honestly it was worth it 😂

@gavenv Mine was the same way, but was open minded to my POV and research. Once he held our son in his arms, though, he immediately switched sides and could never imagine spanking or hitting our kids.