NoRmAl PaReNtS dOnT hOmEsChOoL

@katieoh I homeschool my kids. We aren’t religious. We vaccinate. My kids just didn’t learn anything at school because they couldn’t pay attention with so many kids around. Our entire house has adhd and I have one with autism. Not every kid does well in the school environment.

@katieoh I feel this! Also homeschool my kids, and not because we are right wing Christian fundamentalists or into conspiracy stuff or whatever. The kids I’m homeschooling have no issues that are causing us to homeschool. (Our oldest has severe mental health issues, but he’s within the public school system, which will soon be paying for a therapeutic private school for him.) There’s just enough that I’m seeing from public school (in general and specifically to the school in our rural, generally conservative, overwhelmingly white area) that made me decide to Nope out on it. Plus with all the limitations with COVID shutdowns (things in our state shut down early and stayed shut for a looooong time), I want to be able to give my kids lots of experiences that they missed out on for years. I just want them to enjoy being little kids!

We have a great homeschool community around here- in a weird twist, the vast majority of homeschool moms I know are former teachers who after teaching in public school wanted something different for their kids.

Plus, the “weird isolated homeschool kid” stereotype is a relic from the days when homeschoolers were basically either religious fundamentalists or hippies. It was before the Internet, which has helped create community for homeschoolers, and before there was more types of curriculum for every subject matter than you could keep track of. So when anyone starts on that track, I ask them if they live in 1982, because nowadays the only homeschoolers who are isolated are not so much homeschoolers as they are abused children. The vast majority of homeschoolers are hanging with friends, going to community events and using community resources (like the library and sports teams), are perfectly capable of interacting with people.

@katieoh I would love to home school.

Just not smart enough. My 8th grader’s math is almost too hard for me to do right now.

But as for weird? My youngest said that the thing to do now in school is moan. So they are moaning in class and I’m over here blank staring at him not even sure how to respond to that at all.

All kids are frigging weird. They are kids. It’s part of growing up.

@katieoh When the time comes we may homeschool because of all the school shootings 😞 i loved public school but i can't take a chance with my kids if i have the option.

My husband was homeschooled the "wrong" way if you will.. indoctrinated, brain washed, weird without friends and no sex education whatsoever....so at least we know how NOT to do it 😂