My 4 m/o was awake for over 5 hours at daycare

facebook

What can we ask them to do?

At home, she puts herself to sleep in the crib about 75% of the time. She will cry for a few minutes, but typically if she’s put in the crib awake, she’ll fall asleep eventually.

They rock her to sleep then transfer her, and she wakes up during the transfer. Even when she does transfer, she wakes in 10-15 minutes.

Can I ask them to put her in the crib awake & allow her a chance to fall asleep on her own? I know that would be disruptive to the class for a bit, but this feels like a crisis.

For reference, these were her naps. She was at daycare from 7:30-3:30

8:50-9:00
2:15-3:00

@facebook Did it get better? My 15 week old has been staying up for 4-5 hours at daycare and I feel horrible for him! I’m tempted to start exploring other options. It’s only week 2, but I feel so horrible for him. Like they are torturing him with sleep deprivation 😢

@facebook How long has your LO been in daycare? It can take a few weeks for babies to adjust. We’re also 4M and now three weeks into daycare, my LO is taking four 30-40 minute naps a day. But at the beginning, he got maybe 30 minutes of napping. Taking Cara Babies also says that daycare naps shouldn’t impact home naps because babies can tell the difference (if you were worried - my LO also goes down awake at home and I didn’t know how daycare would impact that).

@nhuluong Yes, 30 min total! LO is now almost 8 months, and some days he’ll sleep upwards of 3.5 hours at daycare, though most days he sleeps ~2-2.5 hours at daycare. Still a little less than I’d like at this point, but he comes home and is ready to play with us for an hour before we start bedtime, so it works!

Editing to add: part of it was just time for him to get used to daycare, and part was his teachers learning more about him and how to help him sleep.