Mother’s Day Q from an outsider

justvin

There is a single mom (not by choice) at our playgroup and we see how hard she works every day to make her child the happy, well-adjusted kid they are. Our playgroup is getting together in a big group this weekend for some non-mother’s day related fun, and I’m tempted to leave an anonymous card in her bag (and maybe some chocolates??) wishing her a happy Mother’s Day, letting her know we (all parents in the playgroup) see her doing an amazing job etc. Her child is not yet old enough to be able to articulate appreciation themselves.

The question is this: is this likely to be ill-received? Could this backfire badly? I can see it going both ways.

I’m not a single parent so don’t want to assume a single mother would appreciate it. She’s a very kind and sentimental person generally, and also know she has her struggles - her ex is a no-show to anything, she’s in this country by herself, and is gainfully employed but - like all mothers and especially single mothers - is time poor. I don’t want to rub salt in the wound that she is a single parent with a dud ex (as she would say).

Burner account.

@justvin No need to make it anonymous. I'm a single dad and had a bunch of folks wish me happy Mother's Day--because apparently I'm doing all the mothering? It was a little weird but the sentiment and care was appreciated.

@justvin Don’t do it anonymously just give the card probably too late but do it as a friend thing. I do sometimes get offended when people pity me because there’s really nothing to pity, which an anonymous card may come off that way.

@justvin I know that it is so late. But that is a very thoughtful idea. I hope you went through with it and it was not ill received!! Depending on her co parent situation,
I’m sure it made her feel good. Such a thoughtful thing to do.

Back