Moms, the recent Crawler Bot post is the biggest reason you shouldn't post pictures of your children on this or any other public internet forum

@radam7 I did something similar by creating an Instagram page for my baby and only allowing access to immediate family members. I know privacy can be sketch on Insta but there was no way my family was going to all sign up for a whole new app. It has been especially helpful to feel they are connecting with him during covid because most haven’t met him in person yet/only done window visits.

@misschelseapearl "safe" pictures can still be accessed. Did you watch the Cambridge Analytica documentary? Or the other social media documentaries? These companies do what is in their best interest and they don't care about keeping your data private.

@len97010 Yes, the cambridge analytica scandal was centered around some people inadvertently granting total access to these data scraping apps and being able to also access their friends' data. The smaller the group of people you share with online the safer you are.

@kalynnken I'm not a mom at all but I want to send love because I support trans people & your right to a happy, safe life full of love. I'm sorry about all the jerks out there.

@kalynnken Are photo rights the same on Facebook? I don’t have one but I have family members who post of my daughter (I asked them to use their best judgment/no naked pics/nothing she might find embarrassing as she gets older) but stuff like this freaks me out. Should I ask them to stop posting completely? Seemed extreme at first but maybe not...

@tanithdaunicorn You're not overreacting at all. I found out that my son's aunt was posting pictures of him on her Facebook without asking me first and I told her to stop it immediately. I told her to take down everything she had posted and she treated me like I was being paranoid and making a big deal over nothing. I was like well it's not your kid, not your decision to be posting pictures of him on the internet. You never know who's getting those pictures.

@tanithdaunicorn The privacy settings on Facebook are suposed to prevent that but friends can still download your pictures and you'd never know. So like that weird person from 10 years ago could digitally steal the pictures all because you forgot they were a FB friend. Or that random add who might actually be a bot..

I personally will never post my kid's face. Every time I think about loosening my rules something like this bot pops up. That AI 10 year comparison trend, the Russian aging app, digital kidnapping, and now bot mining.. I want to at least give my kid the chance of their own online identity. I can't do anything about public group pictures (like church) but all my friends and family respect my request to cover the face in more specific photos.

@ralphdavewestfall Btw, is is illegal to post pics of a child online without their guardians permission. I would speak to the person that handles the church's social media account and inform them that they should not be posting children's pictures without their approval.

@tanithdaunicorn Photo rights are worse on facebook. Facebook owns any picture that is uploaded to it and is legally allowed to do with it as they choose. We put a no exceptions rule on all family of no photos of our daughter on facebook or anywhere else online for her protection and privacy. We make an exception about 3x a year so people can see her and each time I feel conflicted about this.

@kalynnken We use the messaging app Threema to send pictures of our kids to family and friends that live in another country. The app costs $3.00 to download. This is how they make money and not from monetizing your content or actually you. Messages are encrypted, servers are located in Switzerland which has one of the strongest data protections laws, they don't access your contacts automatically - you have to specifically connect with a certain person to be able to send messages. For us this and (on exceptions) text messages is the only way we transmit photos of our children online. And all of our family members and friends have strict instructions to comply with our rules. If someone does not want to pay $3.00 to see pictures of our kids, so be it. Thanks for starting this thread. I think there should be legislation protecting the privacy of kids who don't have the decision power themselves yet. I highly doubt that anything will happen in that area soon, so it is on us as parents to take initiative.

@kalynnken On this note, DON'T POST YOUR KIDS FULL NAME AND DAY THEY WERE BORN!! Everything can be hacked or sold, don't give them their name and date of birth, it's so hard because you want to post delivery pictures, but just wait awhile to post or at least be vauge!

@kalynnken Thank you for writing this. I believe it’s so important that parents realize the importance of keeping their child’s photo OFFline. So many people are careless especially at playgrounds, etc and take pictures/videos of their own kids with others in the background not even considering how that could impact others’ privacy.

@emsw I love portrait mode for this - I can take a great picture of my kiddo coming down a slide, but the one on the swings within the frame is just blurry enough that they’re not identifiable.

@kalynnken Would posting on a private subreddit be safer, or is there still risk of bots infiltrating? I am guilty of posting photos on my bumper group. What about facebook? Are bots capable of taking photos from my private facebook or private facebook groups?

Back