Maternity Leave- what would you do?

@xxwunderkindxx I'm not the most knowledgeable HR professional but that policy doesn't sound right. However, idk if it's worth pushing it or talking to a labor lawyer. Other than that, based on your options B sounds the best to me personally.

@xxwunderkindxx Your district cannot dictate your fmla to count "together," that is illegal.

Just throwing this out here. The pay may be an issue but you are both entitled to 12 full weeks each. As well, if you want me to dive a little deeper on the exact wording feel free to dm me your districts offical policy on the 3 paid weeks thing. I have a feeling they are breaking laws/school rules trying to say it only counts for one or the other

Edit: just read that apparently its legal (fuck the us) but anyways. I would then honestly try to get diagnosed with ppa/ppd/stress related illness so that it can be a seperate fmla. And i wouldnt even feel bad about it bc having a newborn and being forced back into work that early would absolutely cause stress and anxiety

@xxwunderkindxx My hubby and I are mother teachers in the and district and we’re in the exact same situation. I had a c section.

We did an option like C, where I took a lot of time to recover, then he took a little time. He was home with baby for a bit and also brought her to my school every day so I could see her and feed her. It made the transition physically and emotionally easier, knowing that I’d see her in a few hours. And even though he only had a short time with her, he got bonding time and was recharged and ready to go back after winter break.

@xxwunderkindxx What a crappy policy! That's not fair. I would personally take all 12 weeks myself. Maternity leave it already so short, I wouldn't want to cut it any shorter.

@bible07 We can take the 3 at the same time. It’s just that combined we can only take 12 altogether. So if he takes 3 right after birth, and I take 9 right after birth that counts.

@xxwunderkindxx I was hoping the quota resets per calendar year- like each year you take x amount and split it between 2023 & 2024 .

If not. You should take them. There’s so many holidays that you’re still going to have your husband +PTO. Save your PTO for the endless Dr visits with a newborn 🤍

@xxwunderkindxx Exactly! I’ve got my fingers crossed for you I hope it does I briefly worked in HR and sometimes peoples PTOs reset at NY and they’d all cash out 12/31 so I hope and pray that works for you🤍

@xxwunderkindxx Could you tell us what state you're in? I remember HR told us the same thing about 12 weeks combined and then I found out the state had a separate law that protected 12 weeks each. I'm not saying HR is being nefarious or anything but do your own research because mistakes happen.

@xxwunderkindxx Something doesn't sound right. I don't get paid by my employer at all but here is what I get from our state.

In CA, I get 4 weeks of paid disability (60-70% of my weekly wages) before the baby is due. 6-8 weeks (depending on how I deliver) of paid disability leave for recovery, then 8 weeks paid family leave for baby bonding. This is under the impression that I have worked for my employer for at least a year.

For dads, its paid family leave for 8 weeks for baby bonding. He too needs to have worked for his employer at least a year. No disability. He can take it the same time as me or after. That's with the state.

FMLA is just for job protection. When you leave, your job is protected for 12 weeks. When he leaves, his job is protected for 12 weeks. It can be used during the first year of a baby's life.

I would suggest you look into the state and the benefits they give a little bit more.

Back