Kids are dropping the N-Word

nathanstrong

Kids are 7, 5 and 4. 7 year old is playing Minecraft after a few month break. She's forgotten most of what she had learned. The 5 year old starts calling her a newb/n00b. Thanks Youtube.

I don't want them calling each other names and I don't want them calling other kids newbs either. So I tell them to knock it off. In perfect kid logic, they are now referring to each other as "N-words." I think I preferred newb now.

Am I doomed to let them say newb now that they have hit upon possibly the worst alternative ever?

Edit: At no point was a racial slur used. The 5 year old took the N from n00b and started calling his sister an "N-Word" likely because we've told them we don't use the word kill towards other people in the house and he's been reporting his brother for saying the "K-Word"

They play single-player, peaceful mode of Minecraft. It lets them explore, build and learn a few words (and take frustrations out on sheep I suppose)

@briquest “Ankle biters” was another word for kids here in Australia during my childhood (born mid 80s). “Tin lids” too (rhymes with “kids”, if you’re wondering the logic there).

@cramoisie Ngl I did this not too long ago cause my little goofs took up the Miles Morales and Peter Parker personas and decided to ambush me. I'm just chilling on the couch reading and im hearing whispering from their play room. Didn't think too much off it so I went full focus on the book. Not even a minute later they both (2 and 4) snuck up from each side, punched me in the face hard at the same time like a freaking comic book and ran away yelling "you'll never get us rhino".

@nathanstrong They are likely learning way worse things than newb/noob on Internet gaming chat.

I would explain what "n-word" means to most people and don't shy away from how it's connected to a very racist word and not noob/newb. They likely will never say it again.