It’s ok if your nursery isn’t finished or doesn’t exist

@sofie Bassinet in the corner of our room did it for us, the only “splurge” was a nice Himalayan rock salt lamp for ambiance/low light to sleep with and get up in the middle of the night to change diapers by.

We moved and at 8 months, my daughter got her own room. We threw some sticker decals on the wall to help hide the cord for her baby monitor camera and that was about it.

@sofie Yup! It’s definitely more for us than them. And for me, personally, my boy is gonna be in our room for 6-12 months like his brother was so he’s not even gonna need one. I still have plenty of time to put something together if i really want to

@afemaledear I agree, and I think that’s totally ok! Like it’s ok to put a lot of time and energy into a project like a nursery and can be a lot of fun! But I definitely wanted more moms to know, it doesn’t mean anything if you didn’t get to it or want to do it!

@sofie Our landlord was kind (/s) enough to wait until I was 27 weeks to give us 60 days notice to vacate the house we've been renting for the last 8.5 years.

I am now 38 weeks, and my "nursery" is a collection of boxes containing baby items scattered thru my new home and garage. I sincerely do not know where my baby's clothes are at this moment, or the bassinet we got for our bedroom. Hell, I only found the box with my own underwear in it last night.

My "baby shower" has been friends and family buying items from our registry and having them shipped to my husband's work, with the hope that we'll be able to do an unboxing-style livestream before I give birth. If not, it'll have to be a "Welcome to the World" shower, I guess.

My MIL has been stressing me out wanting to know the exact plan for that livestream so she can host a watch party at her house, while seemingly ignoring the fact that we are still actively trying to clear out our old house, 3 weeks after our 60 days ended. We don't have a plan, lady. We're winging it here.

And I just realized that we haven't bought a single damn diaper yet. 😭

@sofie Weve never used the nursery...i have a 2 year old and she still sleeps in my room. 🤷‍♀️ its really not a big deal. I was stressed about it too, but ended up not needing it anyway.

@sofie I live in a 1 bed apartment with the goal of moving back to my home country when the baby is ~9months old. I don’t have a nursery set up. She will be sleeping in her playyard next to our bed and we have repurposed some ikea furniture for baskets for clothes/diapers etc. It made it really easy to not over spend on stuff I didn’t need that I would have to sell next year anyway. My mum and I moved around a lot when I was younger, and I’ve travelled all my life so It’s very easy to be minimalist about stuff. I think peoples nursery’s are beautiful though and a great way to gain some ideas but as others have said, Baby doesn’t need much.

@sofie Thank you! I love seeing the themed nurseries. But if I didn’t have the internet I’m not sure it would’ve occurred to me to pick a theme beyond “baby.”

@sofie 41wks (not a typo lol send help) and the theme of my daughter's nursery is "what's in stock at ikea during a pandemic and fits in our car"

So we got a crib, a nursing cart, and an over-the-door-organizer in there for her clothes 😂 plus a bunch of cardboard boxes that are "organizing" things until we get it together and ikea stuff is back in stock. Her changing table is a skiphop changing pad on the counter in the master bed (which is a converted kitchen, my house is weirs but works for us).

@sofie I live in a studio apartment and my baby sleeps under our loft bed. She's the happiest and sweetest baby I know. All your baby wants is love and cuddles from you and your partner. Babies don't want to be stuck in a room by themselves, no matter how cute it is!

We are moving to a bigger flat soon, but my baby is staying in the room with us until she's at least 1. Having her close makes the early morning wakeups so much easier!

@sofie Hah... I have a bed for baby next to our bed, and she is getting TWO of my drawers out of my dresser to hold her clothes and stuff... 32 weeks along with my second kid... it's not that we don't love her or aren't excited, it's just that experience tells you what you need and what is most practical.

@sofie I've been really bummed looking at these awesome nurserys on here because I wanted to do that, but my place is small so half the room is still going to be a desk and treadmill. And my wife is OK if we mix star wars and safari animals, but that's not what a picture perfect nursery looks life. And then I realized I won't even have a crib there because they need to sleep in our room for a lot longer than a bassinet holds them.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm still sad I can't make that perfect nursery, but it's OK. They'll have everything they need.

@sofie I want to make sure we have everything we need for her but our nursery is not going to be pinterest worthy considering her crib will be in our bedroom for the first year lol

@sofie With our 1st, we were in college. We lived with roommates (a couple) in a 2bd place. Each couple had a room & a bathroom. So, our “nursery” was our bedroom at the foot of our bed. He slept in a pack n play, diapers were on a center across the room, & his clothes went into a laundry basket in a corner. Baby toys got punted to the living room. He stayed with us until he was 1.5, out of necessity.

We finally got a 2bd place to ourselves & well, I’m pregnant with #2. So plan is the same…1.5 year old got his own room & his little sister got to room with us. It took us months to actually clear the space we were using for her, but we finally did it at 8 months along. She stayed with us until she was 14 months. We recently kicked out to her brother’s room because she decided to show off her new skills of trying to climb out of the pack n play. So, now she’s in the room with him sleeping on the pack n play mattress on the floor, because she hates the full bed in there.

We were hoping to rent & move to a 3bd place, but car troubles wiped that fund out & covid didn’t help. So we’re still in our apartment, moving our 3rd baby into our room in that same pack n play, & will probably continue to room share until he is a year old, like with his siblings. We’re going to have to move next July. Our kids will never have a true nursery & that’s okay. They have what they need & that’s what matters. I’d love to design a nursery, but designing a room in general is fun for me. If it’s designing his future toddler room, that’s okay too!

My now 3.5 year old & 1 year old share a Mickey Mouse-esque room. It’s not full Mickey Mouse, but they have a sheet set & pillow cases that are Mickey Mouse. When we move, our plan is to separate the kids, give our oldest his own room, & have the younger 2 share on twin beds until my daughter needs her own space/privacy. We’ll make their room Mickey Mouse or something else, if my oldest still wants to keep the Mickey theme. I made the Mickey Mouse blackout curtains. I don’t know if this will work, but designing their rooms is just as fun as designing a nursery! It brings me joy as a mom to see them delight in their rooms.

@sofie We never had a “nursery” baby slept with me till a few weeks ago at 10 months. Now he has a beautiful big boy Montessori style bedroom with a twin mattress. No regrets, I loved having my little squishy to cuddle all night and miss him, but he loves his big boy bed and new found independence.

Also I’m pretty sure changing tables are the least useful baby furniture item. Never had one and no regrets. LO loves to roll over and twist all around when I change him. Sure if I had one he would have fallen off.