It’s ok if your nursery isn’t finished or doesn’t exist

@sofie Thanks! I've been feeling so bad because we don't even plan on having one. We have an extra room but it's more like and office and guest room.
I'm not sure what you need a nursery for tbh. We will be moving to a bigger place after a while so then we can have a kids room but until then I really don't see the need for a nursery. Can someone enlighten me?

@sofie Unless my child wants to leave sooner, I fully expect him to sleep with me until he is 8+ years so no need for a nursery or a bedroom. He can choose how to decorate his bedroom in the future. But if y’all want a nursery, that’s fine, it’s just not a necessity or priority for a lot of people.

@sofie Most people in my family/extended family co-sleep/bed-share for as long as the child wants, so I guess it’s a cultural or familial thing. I slept with my mom and/or younger sister until I was around 16. I feel a pretty strong bond with my mom and younger sister and it was comforting to sleep near them. My husband is Chinese and also thinks it’s normal to let the child sleep with you as long as they want to. He slept with his parents until he was 8, so that’s where I get the number from.

@sofie I’m struggling with this. I’m only 16 weeks, but we’re currently renting a house. We’re considering buying a house before our lease is up. We don’t know if we’ll be here or not in January. And I want to decorate and start setting a room up, but I don’t want to if we end up moving before my due date or shortly thereafter. I know I still have 5 months, but I feel like it’ll creep up in no time 😩

@rhoda I know what you mean. We moved when I was about 24 weeks. I think getting small, cute things that you can put in any room would be cute!

@sofie Our nursery is currently "the room of boxes" after our renovation and move (I'm 38+6 weeks). I have a place for baby to sleep in our bedroom when we get home though and a place for diaper changes. Nothing Pinterest-friendly though. But I accepted early on that with the timing of the move and everything, the nursery would have to grow with the baby. And that's fine.

@sofie We added a changing table and crib to our bedroom. Since we already have a nice chair in there, I will be using it for nursing.

At 34 weeks, we recently only finished painting babys room and put a dresser in there to store 6m+ clothes. Oh, and we added a cute hanging lamp!

@sofie About to start a long overdue whole house renovation (been delayed since last year) so we won’t even be in our house when I deliver since it won’t be done 😩 hoping for a spare room at my in-laws for hubs, myself, and baby! Sadly the beautiful nursery is just not in the cards for us 🤷🏻‍♀️

@sofie Yes thank you for this! I definitely look at the Pinterest nurseries and feel bad about myself!

I should know better by now too. My first baby’s nursery we lived in a two bedroom apartment and the crib was shoved into the corner of the office/guest room/nursery that was the second bedroom. Next baby we moved and I wasn’t working so I had lots of times to make the nursery of my dreams while my oldest was at preschool. There was literally no difference in my babies level of care or happiness lol. They were both happy babies who slept well in both the subpar nursery and the fancy nursery!

Now here I am pregnant with baby #3 and we moved again! The current “nursery” is a hot mess, boxes everywhere, no decorations up, the crib is in pieces. I look at the mess and feel nothing but stress. I just keep reminding myself that I just have to make it livable. The Pinterest nurseries are GORGEOUS, but I just don’t have the time or money to make this third nursery an amazing interior design masterpiece. But I will love this little one just as much as her sisters and that’s what matters.

@sofie For my first baby I had the nursery done way before she was born. Didn’t use it much at all until she started sleeping in there around 6 months. And then it was only for sleeping.

My second is 10 weeks. There’s 2 pictures on the wall of his room and we use the closet for his clothes. The guest bed in still in there and I haven’t install the expensive vinyl wallpaper I bought.

@sofie Have a 2.5 year old. The decorations I purchased during pregnancy are still in the box in the closet. No regrets. Kid didn't spend much time in the room while awake (unless you count middle of the night wake ups...zzzzz).

Instead we bought wall decals for 2nd birthday decorations and moved those to the nursery later. Doubled as an activity with the kid.

@sofie With my first I didn’t get to have a nursery, we were living in my inlaw’s house and they didn’t deem a nursery important enough to allow me space for one. I was very depressed about it. I remember sitting amidst the plastic storage bins that I had to keep all of my impending baby’s things and crying and just reorganizing everything over and over to feel like I was doing something. I was still SO excited to meet my son and we still had a wonderful time once he made his debut. Tbh I spent way more time on the couch nursing him than we ever spent among his bins, so in the end it was okay.

I’m pregnant with my second right now and my husband and son are so excited to help me set up the baby’s space. I’m not sure what we’re doing yet, but I know it will be great!

@sofie I had my nursery finished by my second trimester. Cut to now, my son is 10 months old and I’ve completely converted it into a “yes space” playroom for him and he sleeps with us in bed. You never know how your views on parenting will change once your babe is here, I’ve even surprised myself!

@sofie 100% this. I only had her crib and bassinet, her changing table, and a disheveled bookshelf when she was born. Oh, and a comfy chair in the corner. I didn’t work on it or finish it until I felt more like myself around 5/6 months postpartum. It was totally fine and is now a room that I LOVE, because I took my time with it and didn’t force it when I felt like crap.

@sofie For my first baby, the nursery wasn’t ready until 7 months… after she was born.

This time will be somewhat similar except they’re going to be sharing. They’ll be in our room in a small cot again for a similar amount of time and then we’ll move them in together.

As for Pinterest perfect? I don’t think we’d ever be accused of that. They don’t spend much time in there unless asleep so perfectly functional is more like it.

@sofie This is so true! I spent alot of time and money working on a nursery (which I really enjoyed doing so not a complaint) but wouldn't say it's Pinterest worthy haha. Baby is almost 4 months old and has been in there once for like two seconds!!

@sofie My husband and I moved into an apartment just a few weeks before I was due with my first. We were on the second and third floor, and the top floor was going to be our bedroom but was way too hot to start out. We ended up setting up our bed in the little bedroom on the main floor and putting the bassinet next to it. We didn’t even have a crib yet.

Five months later we moved our bed up the stairs and set up her crib in her room. But we never did a lot in the way of decor since we moved when she was 6 months old. The nursery was perfectly functional for us, but never looked like something I wanted to post pictures of.

Now there’s a crib in my daughter’s room and the new baby will share with her when he outgrows his bassinet in our room. That’s good enough for me.