It’s 1:39am and I’m awake because I have pink eye brewing

paulnorthuk

Is it a remnant of the bacterial infection my son had two weeks ago? Is it viral due to the tail end of the cold I’m kicking that my son brought home last week that laid him up for approximately 24 hours that has had me on my death bed for 4 days?

Should I just go for the leftover antibiotic drops I have in the cabinet? Should I wait it out?

How will my very old school grand-boss who is so stoic as to come to work mid-chemo take this news tomorrow when I have to call out from my in-office days? Will my son wake up with another round of it and have to miss camp leaving me to juggle childcare and telework yet again?

Will I look like a troll this weekend on my favorite holiday of the year?

None of these answers and more on tonight’s episode of A Working Mom’s Insomnia.

@paulnorthuk So this has happened to me TWICE in the last month. The first time, I could tell it was coming and I used two doses of my husband’s leftover drops from when he had recently had it, then went to the urgent care first thing in the morning to get my own. I am convinced that this action kept the infection to just one eye. Then it happened again this past weekend!! I used the medicine I had been given, then went to the doctor again, where they gave me a stronger antibiotic — the thought was that the infection never fully cleared and the cold I currently have made it re-surface. Again, kept the infection to just one eye.

You can go back in-office as long as the goop stops. You’re no longer contagious 24 hours after starting drops/antibiotic ointment. And if you start meds today, you shouldn’t be pink anymore by the weekend!!

Hope this helps!

@primsroses Thank you, it does help! Particularly the part about the weekend, LOL! I am very paranoid about using antibiotics so I just used some artificial tears overnight to help clean it out and this morning it seems to be clearing already. I have had viral episodes before so I am pretty sure that’s what this is and it will clear today.

@paulnorthuk This happens to me sometimes and I think it’s often tied to my allergies. When I feel it coming on I get antihistamine eye drops. I also then use Johnson baby soap to clean out my eyes twice a day. It helps and it doesn’t turn into full blown pink eye.

@tidal9334 I am so glad to hear I’m not alone! I went with regular artificial tears and when I woke up just now, I’m still goopy and crusty but better than the middle of the night so I think I’m viral not bacterial. 🤞🏻

@paulnorthuk My kid and I both had pink eye for the first time this year. Hers cleared up pretty quickly with no medication. Mine wouldn't go away and the drops seemed to be making it worse. I tried colloidal silver drops after a ton of googling and it worked like a charm. Cleared up in a day.

@paulnorthuk Team use the drops.

My son has has pink eye 6 FN TIMES this year. I’ve had it 2. Pink eye is the worst, but we’ve both been prescribed the exact same drops