Is this a weird name for a baby boy

rfuntilon

We have a 2 year old son named Lane. We have another on the way and we decided on the name Shafin (Shay-fin)
It’s super uncommon which is what I was going for. But is it too odd of a name? I need other opinions

@rfuntilon I’m a teacher and I’ve never heard of Shafin. I don’t think it fits with Lane at the same level of “super uncommon”. If it’s your jam, go for it. I don’t think it is a bad name. I would have only pronounced it wrong once.

Maybe consider Gage, Cole, Brody, Wyatt, Wesley, Coby, Silas, Sterling.

@rfuntilon Personally I’m gonna second what another comment said, and say Shay and Lane sound really great together and have a much more balanced sound to them.. personally Shafin just doesn’t sound like an English name to me. It isn’t my fav but that’s just me

@rfuntilon Don't do it. Your kid is going to have to deal with people either mispronouncing the name or questioning it in some way for their entire life. Take it from someone who's had 60+ years of experience with an uncommon name. 😒

@rfuntilon Going to echo all of the Shay suggestions. Shayfin almost sounds like you made it up to be different, even though we all know you didn't. Also, everyone is going to think he is saying "Jason" the first time they hear his name.

@rfuntilon I think it’s kinda a cool name. I would never think to pronounce it any other way than you plan to pronounce it. People sometimes like to pick on unique names but I have never met anyone that has had issues becuase of a unique name. 100% of people I know with a unique name like having a unique name.

Back