I'm ready to throw Gen Z into a fire

@labbish I hear what you’re saying, and your feelings are valid. HOWEVER, I don’t think this over generalization of an entire generation is really necessary. This practice is common amongst other generations as well. I’m assuming you are a millennial and don’t you remember when y’all got so much shit from boomers and gen x’rs?? Let’s not do that to Gen Z it’s not a good look. I hope you find a sitter, but jobs everywhere are dealing w this behavior and the age scope goes beyond gen Z. No need to whine about it. People apply for better jobs and get them and then ghost. Not just gen z but other generations too. In a perfect world someone would give you an apology and an explanation but unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world.

@teach2 Exactly! As someone who is gen z and a mother I find it a bit offensive to be generalised due to my age! Plenty of disappointing people of all ages!

@channie Exactly!! The whole older generations picking on/generalizing younger generations is a tale as old as time. I’m also a gen Z mother and proud of it. There are so many amazing qualities of this generation that makes us different from the rest.

@labbish this is happening all over my husband is a district manager for some restaurants this is non stop … it’s so weird — they get more replies with just texting too because genz will not pick up the phone lol

@labbish I know its not the same, but we are landlords to a small condo in a college town. When we were showing the property, if we saw on the app the person was younger than 33 ish, we expected to be ghosted. They'll swear they are coming an hour before and POOF. We are not a corporation, we work 9 to 5 jobs a few miles away. They know we are people and we are taking time off work to meet them. Sometimes we need to take an hour of pto for these appointments (hence why we confirm an hour ahead). Me and my husband look at eachother and say "I don't get it". Why make these appointments, go back and forth, confirm details, and poof. This isn't one or two... it's the vast majority of the younger ones. Don't understand. Nope just don't. It's like they don't get there are actual people on the other end.

@achristianinaction It's for 5 hours on a Sunday, every week. The job posting offers between $15-20 per hour for one kid. They make appointment for a phone interview and then don't pick up. I always confirm by text the day before.

@labbish I used Care.com to hire a sitter for a few hours got just one day and even though I posted a high range of $25-30/hour for one kid, I still had people replying that they were interested and then telling me they charge $32/hour.

It was convenient to get a list of sitters and worked ok on short notice, but unless it's an emergency, we're fairly priced out.

Maybe the phone interview is more than they're interested in? Would you be willing to have them babysit for one Sunday and have the option to extend for a recurring gig if things work well?

@breico18 I'd be ok with them watching him for a trial day. Usually they're the ones who offer a phone interview. I might just have to up my price point.

@labbish Hmm. Just seems odd that ALL 6 didn’t respond. It has to be something on your end. But I would also say $100 for a Sunday seems a bit low unless we are talking about hiring a teenager.. maybe.

@labbish $30 minimum if it's a once a week commitment

Now they have to ensure other employment flexes around the Sunday unavailability..

Not worth it at all IMO

@katrina2017 Not everyone lives in a HCOL area ya know. $30 an hour is more than I make with degree working in marketing. I am not considered underpaid either in my area. Maybe I need to switch careers into babysitting!

@labbish I’ve honestly noticed a sort of entitled attitude in the job department… the few gen z-ers I know kind of treat a job like something they only do if it checks all their boxes because they have their basic necessities paid for by parents. They’ve taken the valuable advice of “not to let employers take advantage and to find a job that fits you”, and ran with it so far they reached a negative place, IMHO.

@bnyurb A thousand times yes. A lot of young people graduating have an unrealistic expectation that they will get a job that pays $25/hour despite not having enough experience. Hell, I remember graduating college and having reality slap me in the face too, but I still never ghosted a job and I was thankful I was even getting offers to begin with. That was a scary time in my life. You need to work hard and show employers your worth in order to eventually reach the pay you want…you know, like everybody else haha

@emstyle18 Yes exactly! I saw another comment you made and I totally agree, “they take the I know my worth and stretch it so far it hurts my brain”—- 1000x over. I had a friend that got offered an art commission slightly above market value in a medium they were inexperienced in. They didn’t even have to apply and it landed in their lap because they were drawing in the establishment. They have little experience and formal training. However, they felt it wasn’t enough money for their time and demanded a higher rate and basically fumbled the commission after they had already agreed to the terms. They gave a long rant to me about “I know my worth” and the employer trying to “take advantage” of them by wanting to meet a few times to get sketches approved. This person had no art education, and the commission was one a ton of people from my art university would’ve been glad to take.

I feel that this mentality has a lot to do with how much the internet has pushed the narrative of “stick it to employers”. It’s super valuable because yeah, a lot of corporations take advantage of employees, but this doesn’t apply to every situation. At the end of the day, if your family isn’t paying for your basic necessities you’re going to be a hell of a lot more motivated to make money and you’ll learn professionalism real quick.

My husband and I run a convenience store, and we’ve seen this mentality a lot in recent applications from younger people. A recent one wanted to be paid 20$ an hour for a cashier position, no experience, and 5 hours a week. That’s the rate I was paid as a behavioral therapist for children with learning disabilities, for Pete sake.

No ones saying that young people should slave away at jobs they hate. Asking to not ghost a mother who you’re being asked to nanny for is hardly expecting people to “never have fun and not enjoy their youth”. Mind boggling how extreme these comments are.