I'm ready to throw Gen Z into a fire

@labbish Honestly I don’t think it’s a problem with Gen Z specifically, but more with the entire job market right now. My work place is very short staffed and my supervisor has set up so many interviews. All of them no-show. It’s very strange, and from what I hear, this is happening everywhere.

@labbish Oh my gosh YES. This has been the WORST experience. We have offered good pay, very flexible times that fit the individual sitter’s schedule.. and the ghosting has been horrible! Just Sunday I sat at the coffee shop waiting to meet a potential sitter that I had been in communication with all the last week. Made sure to confirm the appt Saturday night, to which she said yes she’d be there… 10 am rolls around, I’m waiting no biggie. 10:15, no word… sent a txt seeing if everything was alright? 10:30, called, 10:45 called and left a voicemail that I appreciated her time up to now but that this wasn’t going to work moving forward. What is wrong with people now?? Obviously this isn’t the first experience, it’s happened over 6 times now. The latest one is just so upsetting. I’m so sorry you’re going through this also! It is mind blowing.

@labbish Hi, former nanny here!

If the pay is posted in the ad, then you should look over your communications with these people with a critical eye. I have canceled tons of interviews over red flags I thought I saw in initial communication.

Also, remember that childcare workers are in VERY high demand right now (the last family I worked for waited 6 months for my agency to place me). This means that there is a strong chance you are being outbid before you even get to an interview. :(

@tomq1979 I’m a former nanny here too. Totally true about red flags, but these candidates should at least have the decency to cancel the interview. Not doing so is super unprofessional in my opinion.

@tomq1979 I wondered the same thing but usually some one applies, all the major information is in the ad, so I ask if they take Venmo or Zelle, do they like to go outside/what activities do they like to do with kids, would they like a phone interview (if they didn't already ask for one)? After that is just scheduling time. I confirm the night before and poof. Ghosted.

@labbish When you say weekly sitter, how many hours? Because if you’re looking for more than the occasional date night sitter, you’re probably going to have to set up payroll. Zelle and Venmo won’t work legally.

@labbish Hi I had this happen to me. But most of the women providing daycare were Millennials. I had 4 home daycares lined up and one lady would never respond in a timely manner (it would take weeks to get any information back), one told me she could not watch my daughter a week before I went back to work, one stopped responding completely, and one told me the day before I went back to work that she filled my daughters spot even though there was a deposit. I did get my money back I was supposed to sign the contract Monday morning. My husband and I would switch off I’d come home early and he would go to work (shift work) I did become a SAHM in the end.

@labbish I think it's the job market. My friend was also ghosted by some nanny candidates, none of whom were gen Z. I looked for a nanny years ago, and had no issues with ghosting.

@labbish Same happened to me multiple times since the end of last year. I was also looking from care.com and facebook. I don't know why people can't just let other people know they have change of plans. This is more common in care.com. I think it's a culture there.

@jyledh I had one nanny ghost me on the day she was supposed to start! I even confirmed the night before. She was a millennial though, like me.

Multiple interviews cancelled by others, all kinds of ages. We are even offering a bit more than average in our area. I don't get it

@labbish I had a local mom mention on our town Facebook page that her daughter (senior in high school) was CPR certified, interested in child psychology, and looking to babysit. Figured I'd give it a shot, at least meet her. I texted her and didn't hear back for a full day, so I mentioned it to mom. Kid got back to me finally and said she was interested and would be willing to come over for a test run. I suggested next week... Nothing. I texted again suggesting three days... Nothing. So I'm done.

This generation has their phones in their hands CONSTANTLY, they can't say they didn't see the text/message. Such bullshit

@labbish I had to fill a position for work. I too was ghosted. One of the candidates called me back more than 24 hours after her interview time wanting to know if we could reschedule. No.

@labbish Everyone is so pressed about how much you are paying them and completely neglecting the fact that these young adults are making appointments for an interview and then they decide to not show up ! That’s my biggest issue.. kids don’t want to work anymore they just want money accessible for whenever they want it. $20hr is more than minimum wage here in Toronto , and even if it’s just for a day in the week it’s still something.