If a kid wears size 6 clothes but the options only come in ranges (size 4-6, 4-6X, or 7-8), which range should I choose?

patsyjean1111

Hello parents, I'm buying a costume for a relative's 5-year-old daughter at my relative's request. The relative said to get a size 6, but all the options come in ranges: 4-6, 4-6X, and 7-8.

Does that mean the 4-6 would fit her well, or should I get the 4-6X? Or maybe the 7-8, just in case?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've never bought clothes for kids before. Thanks to anyone who can help!

@jjonestn Based on what I can tell, she's always grown a bit faster than her peers, so I guess slightly bigger?

Edit: just in case you meant in terms of weight, I have to imagine she's probably average or slightly below average weight for her height (not heavyset)

@jjonestn I can! I just always feel bad when I have to take a gift back from a kid to exchange it, but I suppose it's better than having a costume she can't wear. Thanks for your advice!

@patsyjean1111 My daughter is 8. She is tall but under weight. She has a 4T shirt she still wears and has 6 sized shirts that fit fine. For pants 6 are,usually fine but smaller the length is noticeable. She has one 4t pants she wears as short pants

@katrina2017 Do you know if there's a big difference between 6 and 6X? I figured a 4-6 would fit a size 5 kid perfectly but fit slightly tightly on a size 6 kid, in which case a 6X might be perfect?

@patsyjean1111 It depends on the cut and the manufacturer. I'd assume a 6 would fit a 6, unless she's "X" as in extra large/heavy weight. If she's not, then the 4-6 should work. Mine were of average weight and they'd swim in an "x".

Most of these things have elastic anyways, hence the multi size.

Back