I get so annoyed of hearing “wElL I dOnT kNoW hOw To HeLp UnLesS yOu aSk”…

@roryrichards Find a time to sit down with your partner when your both in a good or neutral mood. Explain how things are working/not working now. Explain how you want things to function. What role do you want him to take at home and with the kids? What's your ideal home life setup? Explain that you telling him what to do all the time and him winging each task is not working for you. He needs to change the way he LOOKS at the house. Have him walk into the living room with you. Ask him what he sees. Ask him how he would clean it up. Then explain how you would clean it up. You'd gather all the dog toys and put them in their spot. Then you'd gather all the Legos and put them in their containers. Stack all the books and put them where? Pick up all the cups. Do they go on the counter or in the dishwasher? How do the pillows get put on the couch? How do you decide if the floor needs to be vacuumed? Etc

You should print out your kid's schedule. Go through the schedule and explain what goes into every activity. If they're going to act like a child, you might have to treat them like a child as you explain everything. Then walk them through the more complicated portions. Write down the steps and post it on the bathroom wall. Are they incapable of bathing the kids? 1.Tell them how to wash the kids, 2. Have them watch you bathe the kids, 3. then you watch them bathe the kids, 4. They don't on their own.

Are they unable to make lunch or snack? I had a list of easy snack and lunch ideas written down and posted in my kitchen for babysitters. Talk partner through the steps and show them where every is located. Tell them your expectations. Mine is that for lunch the kids get some protein, a few carbs, 1-2 veggies, 1 fruit. They can have water, fruit juice or milk. Those things need to be included. Does he need to wash veggies and fruit? Does one kid only eat strawberry jam not grape? Put that info down.

Have a list of the chores posted. Show them which things need to be done every week/couple weeks/month/season. Where are the supplies? Is there a specific way you want it done? When you say "load the dishwasher" is that all or do you expect the counters to be wiped as well? With water or with cleaner? Paper towel or rag? Be clear.

Maybe you need a daily calendar with the chores posted on that so they can see what needs to be done today?

If all this doesn't work, then find a couples counselor or paster or someone similar. They can help you guys figure out a fair division of labor.

Lastly, I'll usually give a status report to my spouse when he gets home at night. I'll say something like: "Yay! Welcome home! Dinner is on the stove. The kids emptied the dishwasher! #1 needs to shower and clean up her project before she can play. #2 needs to practice the piano, put away his clothes, and finish his spelling paper before he can play. I'm finishing these last 2 loads of laundry so if you have anything extra that's dirty you can give it to me now." He knows exactly what we're working on. He can hustle and give me his laundry. He encourages the kids or helps them get their things done. After he gets his dinner, if I'm still busy with laundry he puts the food away and washes the pots. It helps us all work together. Then we can all relax together! It works well for us, but I will say that my husband is very involved in the house and with the kids.

If all this doesn't work, then find a couples counselor or paster or someone similar. They can help you guys figure out a fair division of labor.

@dottiec Okay, I read your whole comment and it's great advice but...

Then she not only is exhausted from doing all the childcare and housework, but then she also has to undertake the task of training her husband how to be an adult, when the vast majority of these tasks can be figured out, or he could put in the effort to ask her this information and remember.

This is good advice, but it still puts the problem on her shoulders. Because she's the one that was to find a time to approach the husband when he's in a neutral mood, train him, write all of this down...

I made a binder similar to this when I left my son with my MIL for a week, it took hours to do.

The biggest problem is not that he's not doing housework, it's that he's blaming her for his laziness. He has eyeballs, he can see her working and hustling all day. He could ask her "what do you need me to do right now?" Or jump in on a task she's doing, but instead he's blaming her.

@restoringthetruth You make some really good points, and to be honest I would generally agree with you about it being his job to step up.

However, we're talking about a real marriage. If he were some abusive a-hole I'd be the first to tell her to get the hell out of there. (That's usually reddit's advice, to be honest.) It doesn't sound like that is the case, though. It sounds like he's an overall okay guy who becomes a complete lazy-bones, non contributing, hands-off dad, who selfishly doesn't care that his wife is exhausted.

I think that because she's let him get away with this behavior for so long, she has to thoroughly lay it all out to him. I think if she becomes too upset (which would be completely understandable) during this discussion he will use her behavior as an excuse to end the conversation. He'll say he's not going to talk about this stuff because she's too emotional or angry. So, I think she needs to be ultra patient while she does it.

I agree with you about prepping all this will take a while. But this is part of what it will take to achieve what she wants, right? Plus it should be kinda a one-time thing. And I bet she could find lots of templates online for things like chore charts, meal ideas, and things.

Yes, teaching him really shouldn't fall to her like this. He should have come preset with all this knowledge and training. His parents failed him, OR he chose to forget it. Can he learn how to do chores by himself? Yes! There are all kinds of tutorials on YouTube if he were self motivated. It doesn't appear that he's willing to do that. However, if she doesn't care HOW he does the chores, then she could totally tell him that figuring out how to sweep a floor or wash windows is his job.

You say he has eyeballs and can see what needs to be done. It might be that he actually can't. You know, I have ADHD and there are some things I really cannot "see" unless I'm medicated. I don't notice stacks of paper (junk mail and stuff), general clutter, shoes by the door, or the pile of backpack and jackets. If I take my pill all of the sudden I see all kinds of things that need to be tidied up. It's amazing to me every time.

My view is that if she's trying to work this issue out in this real-life marriage, this seems like the most straight forward way. If he refuses to do his part? I'd tell her to say "I need you to see a couples counselor with me". If he refuses that too? I'd tell her that it looks like he's not interested in a partnership with her and she'll have to decide if she's willing to live like this, if she could/would hire help, or if this is the last straw.

@roryrichards I love this idea. Also don’t ask—direct. Tell him what to do so there are no misunderstandings.

You should put it in a calendar as well with recurring events (wash the car every Saturday, groceries every Sunday etc.) that your husband even has a de facto daily chore list. I hate seeing my wife overcompensate and so I try to be proactive about managing anything that might cause stress/anxiety and take her away from baby. As proactive as I try to be, we are of two different minds and that disconnect means she will be worried about things I don’t know unless we communicate. Fairly or not, there’s a lot of weight of expectation on the mom in a family and I think that weight of expectation makes my wife think she should be able to handle it all on her own. Neither of us are sports nuts but I constantly remind her that we are a team but she’s the quarterback—when she calls the plays I execute—but she has to delegate as much as possible so that she can focus on things I can’t do (breastfeed) and the toll that takes.

TLDR you’re dude knows how to help and should be doing that basic husband stuff like outside work, gassing/washing cars/taking out the trash. But I bet if he is sincere with that statement in the title (although the alternating caps spelling make it seem like he isn’t) he would love a list of recurring chores.

@roryrichards They need to be told because they don’t think about housework at all just like we don’t think to change the oil in the car or service the lawn mower. I’ve stopped expecting my husband to magically become a cleaning lady, I just tell him to clean when I need help and he usually does without much fuss.

@roryrichards We have designated roles in our house that we both agreed on. I always do the laundry. When my kids were babies/toddlers he always did all of the dishes and bath time. I think he understood it more when I said “I don’t want to think about bathing the kids AT ALL. I need you to be responsible for the e tire process.”

@roryrichards Oh, I fear my husbabd wrangling the kids while I fly up north in the near future to help my mom with my stepdad's end of life stuff.
He is in for a huge dosebof reality of exactly what I do all day everyday. I'm just hoping the laundry gets halfway done and the kids eat.

@roryrichards As un-Hollywood movie as it sounds, I had to physically write out everything my husband can do to participate in household chores as well as how to support me during pregnancy. Example- massage my back.

It worked and now he can’t use the excuse that he doesn’t know what to do to help me. I posted it on the fridge 😂

@roryrichards My husband really struggles to help around the house. Part of it is depression, and I get that. No complaint there.

Part of it is that his mother was a toxic narcissist who demanded he clean, cook, and watch his younger siblings without so much as a please or thank you. And any time he’d do something, it became an expectation that he would always do it.

He realizes that I am not she and that our home and children are his shared responsibility. He tries to avoid using “weaponized incompetence”, and he tries to actively work around his mental blocks. But it’s been twelve years to get to this point, and he still can’t quite function in a clean up mindset.

Like today, he didn’t want to dirty another dish, so he scrambled some eggs for the baby in a pan with a fair amount of oil left in it from a previous meal. But our baby always throws his food on the floor, so now there’s a big oily patch on our dining room floor that my husband hasn’t even realized is there, let alone tried to clean up.

The struggle is real, ladies.

@roryrichards Empty the dishwasher and actually PUT THE DISHES AWAY. Cut the baby's nails. Do a load of laundry (START TO FINISH). Take the trash out and put in a new trashbag. Rinse containers for recycling. Fill water bottles. Feed the baby a meal (again START. TO. FINISH. Don't make me clean up!). Give me an hour in the day to exercise.

@roryrichards In our house my standards are way higher than his. I went to his apartment before we were married (2009 so we’ve had awhile to work things out) and so I know it’s not him doing it purposely. It’s just how he sees things.

We had to sit down and discuss things thoroughly and I think it helped when I explained how much my anxiety spikes when the house is messy and things are out of place. Sitting and talking about the way it made me feel was helpful to us both I think.

We also use a list app where we can both update with things that need to be done, packing lists, shopping lists, etc.

Back