i don’t get why my dad is so mad at me for getting an A in physics

wonderstruck

for reference, i am doing igcse physics(a cambridge curriculum) and the percentage for each grades are(i might be wrong about C and D):
A*= 90
A = 80
B = 70
C = 65
D = 50
recently, i did a physics test, it was relatively hard compared to the other tests as the highest mark in our class was a 91 or a 92. I didn’t preform well enough which resulted in me getting a 84. when i told my parents about this, they freaked out and said something along the lines of ‘u have my genes so u have the capability to get around 95.’ and their conclusion was i didn’t study hard enough. now my dad wants to talk to him about it when im ready and i think he is going to do some form of punishment on me. what do i do

@wonderstruck You did well and no matter how hard you study its unreasonable to expect anyone to get it perfect every time wether thats because you just had a bad day for whatever reason or because in this case maybe the test was unexpectedly hard (tests being designed poorly designed does happen, it happened to a class i was in when i was training to be an electrician and a 3rd of the class outright failed and almost everyone else was dangerously close because a subject nobody could reasonably expect to know was included by accident so resits were done for the whole class)

Your parents holding you to an reasonably high standard is how people burn out and then academic performance goes down the toilet so unless you actually needed a 95 for a specific reason like trying to get a scholarship then id just be happy with outperforming a vast majority of your peers

@wonderstruck You did better than me at school. Sounds like your dad is projecting his wants and expectations onto you. I feel for you. Hope it all works out.

edit: grades are not the be all end all. I was an underachiever got mostly C's still managed to go to uni (waste of time) then changed careers and i am now on more money than most In my area... Not trying to boast, just want to try and get across grades don't mean everything.

Back