I’m struggling to know - what’s worth swapping?

faithfulglow

I feel like the more I learn the more it feels like I should swap everything. I am really new to this stuff, but more and more convinced that all this junk is SO awful. I’ve only swapped personal care items so far (my deodorant, menstrual care, lotions/body wash for baby). I have been considering glass baby bottles, but realistically, we just can’t swap everything. What are the best things to prioritize swapping from a research standpoint? I’m pretty concerned about endocrine disruptors, so the whole microplastics thing is like eww to me, but there are just things I don’t think I can ever convince my husband of swapping (candles/fragrance, ditching dinnerware/baby plastics).

So until I can convince him of my crunchiness, what would you start swapping if you started somewhere? I’m feeling like personal care items makes the most sense (soaps, lotions, etc). But I’m game if there’s a better place to start.

@rmorgan79 Personally I apply this to plastic that contains a heated liquid or food that we are going to consume. I am not entirely sure about the effect of the dishwasher, but I am for myself working under the assumption that most micro plastics get released during heating and transferred then. So in the dishwasher the microplastics would get washed out. When containing hot foods or liquids they’ll get transferred into something we consume.

We have used glass baby bottles that we have heated in the microwave. We also still have plastic food storage containers since replacing them is not realistic for us right now. However we transfer the food into a pot or onto a plate before (re)heating the contents.

@rmorgan79 I think I read an article a while back about the temperature that the dishwasher reaches and whether that is problematic for heating plastic, but I can't remember what the conclusion was.

I generally try to keep plastic out of the dishwasher, though I feel a little silly since half the dishwasher itself is made of plastic. That being said, not all plastics are made equal and some are made to hold up to heat better than others.

@faithfulglow The kitchen. I ditched all plastic. Utensils, cutting boards, mixing bowls, storage containers, all forms of non-stick cookware. Pretty much everything. He griped a bit, but I personally foot the bill so he couldn't complain too much (although he still does on occasion.)

He refuses to get on board with the new laundry detergent, so we wash things separate. I put my foot down with sheets and towels.

I'm still trying to peel fragrance from him, and I think the only way will be to show him a variety of articles that prove how bad they are.

@icreepin I hope you manage to convince him! Mine was also a little resistant, especially when it came to laundry. He likes the “fresh linen” smell and dryer sheets, and fabric softener. Our son was very sensitive to fragrance (he’d get a full body rash) so thankfully I didn’t have to fight too hard.

The only downside to being a fragrance free home is how intense smells are now. My father loves to bath in cologne. My parents stayed in our guest room. I can still smell him.

@icreepin Maybe a dumb question, but do you use wooden cutting boards? And how do you clean them if you cut raw meat on them? My mom has always said that raw meat doesn't come out of wooden cutting boards. Is she crazy? 😂

@recoveringfaith So there are articles on this. Wood cutting boards are actually more sanitary than plastic. The wood absorbs liquid which you would think is a bad thing but what happens is the bacteria get trapped below the cutting service where it can’t come into contact with food whereas with plastic overtime the plastic gets little nicks in it that harbour bacteria. Wooden cutting boards just get washed by hand with dish soap. Don’t put them in the dishwasher it ruins them.

@faithfulglow Id focus on filtered Water, filtered air, fragrance free home and personal care products, and glass food storage. Plus eating fresh foods - know your farmer if possible! The rest is extra and you can do little by little.

Back