I’m scared of my husband going back to work on Monday

@marialavender My mum taught me to say at the end of every day “today was really sh*t. I will wipe the slate clean and take tomorrow for whatever it may be.”
I used to do this every night in the shower - usually accompanied with a good cry. I still do this every night and just accept the day for what it was good or bad.

@marialavender You got this mama. It sounds like you are in the thick of that newborn haze & chaos. Like others say- it will get better! You are absolutely not a failure of a mother. You sound like an amazing one actually. Maybe exhausted but that is normal. Sleeping when baby sleeps is a saying that’s doesn’t work for everyone. Do what works best for you and baby! It also sounds like the formula could be giving her GERD or colic. That could be causing her discomfort. If you haven’t yet- I would consider baby wearing or give her gripe water drops to you help ease some of the crying. I hope things get better soon!!

@marialavender Always remember you are the best mom for your baby, for her you are perfect.

I have been where you are, still am sometimes. But it gets easier, they are as much beginner babies as you are a beginner parent, it takes time to get to know a new person. Cause that’s what your baby is. She is her own, but you two first and foremost will figure things and each other out as the time passes.

@marialavender Echoing all the comments to say this is 100% normal, you’re doing a great job, and I felt EXACTLY as you did. Hang in there. What helped me on those days when I was alone and husband was at work was rewatching comfort shows! Baby would sleep/eat on me for hours anyway. It was a very good distraction.

@marialavender It gets better. IT GETS BETTER. I could have written your post when my son was 6 weeks old and his dad was going back to work. Like word for word. He’s two now and oh boy it’s so much better. I know that feels like forever away though so just take each day, hour, minute one at a time.

First thing I would do is address your anxiety. Are you diagnosed? Are you taking any medication? I waited way too long to talk to my Dr about PPA/PPD and regret it. Once I did I got put on medication for anxiety and insomnia and felt SO much better.

If breastfeeding is stressing you out and not working for you then ditch it. You’re in survival mode and if something isn’t working you shouldn’t let the pressures of doing “what’s right” influence how you get by day by day. I had to supplement as well due to low supply and looking back I wish I would have just saved myself the headache and exclusively formula fed. Doing both was so time consuming.

She’s only 7 weeks so yeah unfortunately her sleeping patterns will suck for the next little while. What kind of work does your husband do? Is he able to come home and take over so you can sleep in the later evening till about 11 or 12 and then he goes to sleep? That’s what my husband and I did when he went back to work. We still worked in shifts. Sure, he had to get up for work but so did I every day taking care of our son so we both needed to be rested.

I’m a light sleeper too. I would put my son in the bassinet beside me and either put white noise on or ear plugs. Don’t @ me Reddit. I could hear him if he actually cried because he was literally beside me but if he was just making baby noises (babies are noisy AF when they sleep) I wouldn’t hear him and could get some rest. Even if you can’t sleep just lay down when she’s sleeping. Zone out. Listen to a meditation. Rest your mind. Take the pressure off having to actually sleep.

When my son was that little instead of reading him kid stories I read out loud to him whatever novel I was reading. They can’t understand at that age so who cares? I read SO many books when he was a newborn. It kept my mind active and engaged and he got to hear my voice all day.

Just breathe. It’s hard. The hardest thing you’ll ever do. But once you’re on the other side of it you’ll be all the stronger and eventually be like me posting and encouraging other new moms! We all go through the hard and we all support each other through it.

@nalean7 Thank you so much for writing this out. I’m not diagnosed, but I will be talking to my doctor at our next visit. Hearing that what I’m going through is common helps me a lot. My husband works from home, but he can’t leave his office most of the time. But that is still helpful, because he can occasionally step out to bring me something if I need it, or let the dogs out to potty.

@marialavender Yeah so if he works from home I would continue with “shifts”. Once he’s done work he comes and takes baby and you get some rest. Put some headphones in, take a bath to relax (also it sucks but if you take a cold shower it resets your central nervous system), climb into bed, a long nap, then when he goes to bed you take over.

@marialavender 7 weeks was about my breaking point too. That’s when my pediatrician suggested a little cereal at night in the bottle to help LO sleep a little longer before getting hungry, I stopped breastfeeding (low supply as well) and pumping and taking meds to increase supply (which made me even more tired) and that’s when someone told me that I was about to turn the corner and at about 8 weeks is when baby starts to sleep more. only after they told me this did I realize that how I was feeling wasn’t going to be forever. I was too exhausted to realize that on my own, especially since it’s the first time having a kid. When hubby goes to work all you have to do is keep both you and baby fed and alive. Chores, etc. can go undone for a short period while you adjust. You’ve got this, momma, hang in there, it gets better!

@marialavender I also cried when my husband went back to work. Totally normal to feel that dread and wonder what you are going to do.

I had PPA and your experience is sounding similar to mine. The first thing to do is talk to your OB about how you’re feeling. Medication and therapy can help. This is not you. This is your hormones and anxiety and it can be sorted out. It may take time, but it is totally possible. I felt completely upset about not having my own schedule anymore and being out of control of the baby’s schedule (around 3m that fell into place). The fourth trimester is a thing and is draining, but you will make it through I promise. The second thing is to get baby sorted.

At 7 weeks old I don’t think she should be eating more than 3oz, their tummies are really tiny! Your baby may have a lip/tongue tie, acid reflux etc. talk about the way she feeds, cries etc. take a video to show your pedi. Also, at this age they feel best close to you and you’re still figuring out the burping, changing, feeding etc. it’s a cluster, but you will get it! It’s just a complex puzzle that needs solving.

If the crying is getting to you it’s ok to put in some ear plugs/ear phones and just hold her. Or if she’s driving you completely batty you can leave her in a safe place and step outside to breathe for a few minutes, totally ok.

@marialavender Totally normal feelings. My son wasn't terrible as a baby looking back but when I was in it I thought he was the worst! Lack of sleep will totally cloud your mind and judgement. Best thing I can say is you will get through it because you have to and at some point it will be a distant memory.

@marialavender I felt the same way. It gets better. Not for awhile, not all at once, but around the one year mark I finally felt like I could breathe. The newborn stage sucks, the baby days are not fun, and I remember feeling like I was the only one who felt this way. I promise you’re not alone. These days are probably 80% of the reason I am OAD. You can do this. Hang in there.

Also, a therapist might help.

Back