Hype me up and tell me I CAN do a short international flight alone with my two kids (3 years and 9 months)

@docmrm Another option is a car seat backpack. We have a lightweight car seat that we use just for travel, and then we pop it into a backpack for walking through the airport. It’s still bulky but manageable!

@docmrm I bought a fold up set of wheels (very light) and a slim light car seat. My kids sit in Nuna Rava in the car and that seat is like 27 pounds. I bought a Graco contender slim for plane travel. I am guessing it weighs in the 10 pound-ish range. The rolling wheels are called “airport car seat stroller cart” on Amazon.

@docmrm I also have an only child but have flown alone with her lots. The biggest help to me in the horrible toddler years was always remembering that it was a limited time and no matter how horrible it was it would be over soon.

Other than that, bring a stroller for the airport plus carrier for baby, especially if in Europe. You can gate check the stroller but may then have to walk up stairs to the plane or even get a bus, and after the flight it's only returned with the rest of the luggage. I know some people bring the small ones on board but I think it might take the place of hand luggage, plus you might also have to carry it up stairs. For the toddler one of those ride on suitcases might be useful.

Bring hand luggage with plenty of snacks (don't depend on plane food) and spare clothes for everyone, even you if possible. But check your main luggage, you have enough to juggle. Download some bluey or whatever your toddler likes to watch on a tablet. This is not a time to restrict screens.

@docmrm If you're from the US, I'd suggest seeing if you can get Global Entry, or at least the TSA Pre-check. Pre-check only takes a couple weeks to get approved (mine was less than a week) and it's nice not having to take off your shoes and stop to put them back on when wrangling kids through the airport.

Also, be careful what kind of water bottles you take on the plane. I took both my kids with me and gave them each a water bottle with a pop-up lid. Turns out, those will pressurize if left closed at take off then water will explode up if you open the mid flight. Learned that the hard way

@labyrinthmama It was so bad. My youngest did it, and while I was already panicked, trying to stop it and clean up the mess, my oldest said "whoa, will mine do that too?". Then like the little scientist he is, he opened his before I could react. Of course my boys don't drink plain water, there was bright red mio added to it so we all turned pink. The only good thing was it didn't hit any neighbors. Just us, our seats and the ceiling above us.

@docmrm Yes, you can do it - mind over matter!

3 hour flight will actually go by very quickly - dress baby in pyjamas and do normal bedtime routine ahead of taking the flight whilst you are at the airport. Get to the airport early, do dinner at the airport, allow for time in playspace (if you live in the UK this is a pre-flight ritual for my kids at Heathrow and Gatwick!)

For the three year old, bring snacks - I find starch based snacks like cheerios/crackers/breadsticks work best, allow a few shows on the ipad, sticker books, they probably will fall asleep more easily than you think.

Be prepared that the ride to your final destination is probably going to be the hardest part - enlist your family to meet you at the airport, help with transportation, and help with the kids.

I've taken multiple solo flights - key is to just bring extra clothes (for everyone) get there early, expect that things won't go as planned, and bring nice fancy snacks for yourself (I always pack a fancy bar of chocolate just for me!)

@docmrm You can and totally SHOULD do it!! Worst case is you have a really crappy 3 hours and then a few weeks of family and destress time. Best case, the flight is great and you have a few weeks of family and destress time. I also have to travel internationally to go home (about 9-10 hour flight) and sometimes it’s just necessary.

@docmrm This is one of those times where all your normal rules go out the window, toddlers want candy and chips for the flight, you got it. You want to watch nothing but cartoons for 3 hours, done. I haven't done a solo trip but we did a major remodel of our house and there was a weekend where we all had to live in one room for 2 days, we did nothing but play games, watch TV and eat junk food, my kids still talk about how awesome that weekend was, they certainly don't remember the construction or the fighting, you've got this!