Hunt, gather, parent

@crafty To add on what others mentioned, if you want more read about this particular topic (with research links), I recommend "Unconditional parenting" by Alfie Kohn.

@crafty Definitely recommend reading the book. In a nutshell though, praising breeds competition. And as they grow up they'll look to the parent(s) for affirmation or validation for their accomplishments or to make sure they're "doing the right thing" instead of being proud of themselves and doing things for themselves, for their own sake and well being, instead of doing things just to please their parents. It also turns play into performing, like they always have to be "on."

@katrina2017 Interesting! This was kind of her selling point—that these techniques were the only ones her “difficult child” responded well to. But I am always skeptical of any advice that claims to work for every child! No idea how my baby will be as a toddler but he is certainly a high needs/energy baby… what do you find doesn’t work and what particular tools and strategies do you use in their place (for dealing with tantrums for instance)?

@joshdons So I think on your comment about letting them play unsupervised outside it’s about age. A five year old outside in your backyard with a friend. You don’t need to be there. You could drop an 8 year old off at the park with some friends and run to do groceries. You don’t have to let them wander the streets if your area isn’t safe to do so. If there is a sidewalk though I don’t see the issue letting them walk to a friends house or even to school.

Also no one will call CPS and if they do nothing will come of it. As parents in our society we have this deep fear for some reason that letting our child out of our site for two seconds will get the cops called. It isn’t the case.

I think the book should be viewed as inspiration and a way to expands your thinking.
Why are you saying no? Why are you scared? What other ways can you give unsupervised time as it is important?

@katrina2017 I take your point about a lot CPS paranoia being caused by fear mongering—egregious overreaches are rare! But I remember when I was at university there was an “incident” in my small college town where a visiting Swedish professor’s wife had to deal with a police and CPS investigation because she left her baby in a stroller outside a cafe for 10 minutes—a totally normal thing to do in Sweden. I was an impressionable age so it’s always stuck with me.

I guess something that really resonated was the bit about her feeling like her daughters life was so confined; we have to be so much more judicious about when and where we can let little kids roam because we don’t have a literal village or even just trust in strangers that there will always be eyes on the child ready to step in should the situation become unsafe. If my kid goes to school a few blocks a way that would be great, I’d walk with them until they were comfortable getting there by themselves—but just the way our cities are set up it might not be possible (my elementary school was a 30 minute subway ride from my house; I know people who, even though their school is a ten minute walk still drive the kids bc they live in neighborhoods with no sidewalks and lots of busy intersections). A five year old playing in the yard alone just isn’t the same as five year olds taking public transportation independently, which they do in many countries.

I think this the main an issue with the book I am struggling with (and may be indicative of the fact I can’t turn off my anthropologist brain)—there are these ideals that really resonate with me about autonomy and respecting the child, but putting them into practice in a society that fundamentally does not respect children is hard (practically, emotionally). The book is mining specific cultures for general solutions, but parenting is a culturally, materially embedded practice—and this isn’t explored in any meaningful way. I found the first chapters about why “westerners” parent the way they do incredibly flimsy—instead of say, the erosion of public institutions; the privatization of common goods; the rise of automobiles and the suburbs; fixation on productivity and our culture of overwork (and lack of material support for parents, like family leave); etc.—it’s apparently all due to medieval theologians. (Please, spare me.)

@joshdons I do see where you are coming from.

I realize I feel this why when it comes to this push for outdoor play and risky play in childcare. (Where I work) We are always lectured on how important it is, given presentations on these beautiful forest schools. Yet the yard at my centre is a fenced in square with no trees. We are off a busy main road. With no parks or forest in walkable distance. I can not magically change the layout or landscape a new yard.

I feel you. I get it now that I’ve changed how I look at it. We are being sold a system we believe in. Yet we alone can not change it.

@joshdons Have you read the continuum concept? It is different but same vibe. Kind of problematic but has interesting ideas. I was not a fan of the author's conclusions but interested in her observations. Interesting very short book.

@joshdons This book actually changed our life. The author's examples are definitely not ordinary scenes in most of our lives but I thought this book was incredibly practical when you translate her examples to your setting. We no longer entertain, we do chores together (slowly), we include her in dinner/events/etc., we get outside a lot, we toddler-proofed our house so she has a lot of domain so she's allowed to live here, etc. There is no new knowledge, only recycled wisdom. I thought the author did a good job of providing observations without branding her findings as her revelations. I recommend this book all the time. So glad very early on we abandoned the "Western" idea of parenting. As for grandparents we are slowly brining them along but we don't "enforce" our style on them unless we have a clear values conflict or something is dangerous.

Back