How many every day shoes for 9y/o?

@minh My kid has a pair of shoes per season/occasion (snow boots, summer sandals, dress shoes, and grandma gifted her a pair of rain boots). She has 2 pairs of shoes to choose between for every day wear: a decent pair of gym shoes and a cheap $10 pair of canvas shoes from Target.

@minh My 9 year old has 1 pair. I tried for years with my older kids to have them switch between 2 pairs. NOPE! They only wear 1. My oldest started wearing different pairs when he was about 13 or 14. This is probably when he discovered fashion (lol) and started putting outfits together.

@minh At 9, my kids each had 5 pairs:
  1. Every day school uniform shoe
  2. Dress uniform shoe (also used for dressy events)
  3. Casual shoes for home/play
  4. Sandals/crocs for messy/wet stuff
  5. The shoes that went with whatever sport they were playing at the time (fancy running shoes for one, soccer cleats and basketball shoes for the other).
Edit to add: at age 9 I would definitely not buy new shoes just because the kid “wants more options.” They grow so fast and shoes are like $100 a pair!

@minh My boys would prefer another pair of shoes to any other clothing item or accessory. Could you get another pair, but from a discount place like DSW or Shoe Carnival? I tend to give the nicer sneakers as Christmas or birthday gifts.

@minh So, for anything that is not winter, I mostly get him 2 pairs of everyday shoes. Usually one sneaker type and one a bit more sturdy (like an everyday hiking shoe) that also works better on rainy days as he walks to school.

But experience says he will hyperfocus on one pair and wear this and only this one until they either fall of his feet or he outgrows them.

For summer additionally an open shoe, either sandals or flip flops.

For winter, a pair of warmer, waterproof boots.

@minh Mine aren't 9, they're 4&6 but I imagine it'll be the same. They have three to choose from not including specialty footwear (snow boots, rain boots, dressy shoes etc)

@minh I would buy him another pair of shoes. It is recommended to have two pairs of sneakers and swap them out because they last longer than wearing a single pair every day. At the end of the day, shoes get sweaty and you're supposed to air them out but you can't do if you have to wear them again the next day. Typically I always have two pairs of sneakers myself - usually one nicer newer pair and one that I wouldn't mind wearing through the mud or to paint in. Unless you can't afford food and other basics, shoes are pretty important thing as they support your feet and he might be also embarrassed to wear worn shoes to school. The worn shoes might not be as supportive. If he's asking, there's a reason why - maybe kids at school are making fun of him. Maybe it's uncomfortable. Maybe he's just more conscious of fashion now. Either way, I think the shoes mean more to him than 50 or 80 bucks in your account. Shop sales or use RetailMeNot etc. Typically my kids have at least 4-5 shoe options, even when growing. Their new sneakers, their old sneakers, boots, a sandal, and maybe a different sandal or sneaker option or dress shoe or something else they picked out because they liked it.

@minh Pro-tip. Keep minimum 2 pairs of everyday use sneakers of decent quality. Mostly to alternate pairs and allow shoes to air dry and avoid smells and fungus. Lastly, keep one pair of nicer looking sneakers/boots/shoes that will dress up. 3 pair is solid gameplan and not too expensive to replace.

Back