How long to hang onto pre pregnancy clothes?

nomoresmiles

I used to be an XS top and S bottom. During my pregnancy I’ve bought both S/M/L tops and M/L/XL bottoms. It’s kind of crazy how much my body’s changed but I’m kind of sad even my loosest pre-pregnancy favorites don’t fit the current me. There’s a lot of discussion on weight but I’m wondering if people just got rid of their pre-pregnancy stuff right away, gave it until X months postpartum, or are still trying postpartum to fit back into their clothes.

@nomoresmiles I made a little clothing quarantine for clothes that are too small but that I still love. I’m 3 years out and now pregnant again, but I’m still hopeful maybe I can wear them again. And it’s just one box in the attic so it’s no big space stealer.

@iamthankful Clothing quarantine is the best phrase! Yeah, same - I took my too-small favorites out of my closet so they weren’t bumming me out (and making it harder to find clothes that fit every day), but I have a couple boxes in the attic I’m hoping I’ll be able to bring back down eventually!

@nomoresmiles At least a year and a half if you still like them, maybe even two. I feel like it took me forever to get back to my pre-baby size and muscle tone, but I was grateful to have clothes that fit when I finally did.

@nomoresmiles I phase out my clothes as they stop fitting me. Just put them in a box for storage. This clears up room for maternity clothes and now I don’t have to look past a bunch of clothes that doesn’t fit to find something that does. It’s better for my mental health too.

Last pregnancy those clothes (mostly M, size 8) stayed in the garage until 3 months postpartum at which point I pulled them back out and put them back into my closet. A lot of them didn’t actually fit me again until a year postpartum. This time I might give that a little longer, having them back in my closet when they didn’t fit again make me feel bad about my postpartum body. I ended up buying some clothes (size 10, L) that I wore for a while postpartum that I still have.

This time I will leave the box in the garage until those larger clothes start to feel loose and then I’ll know it’s time. Just having them out of sight is better for my body image.

@nomoresmiles Save it for two years!! I had to get rid of some of my pre pregnancy clothing, but it’s small on me because I’m in better shape than ever! (Lifting does wonders for the glutes, as it turns out 😅😅)

@nomoresmiles After my second and final child was born, I got rid of all of my larger size clothes because I'm committed to maintaining a healthy weight and fitness level from now on. No more pregnancy to detail my routines, I am just committed to being fit and healthy into my middle age and golden years 😅

@nomoresmiles I'd hang onto them for a couple years, maybe longer if you really love them. If you have babies close together, they may not fit again until you're done having babies. Took me 18m after my second to get to my old size!

BUT I do highly recommend buying nice clothes you really like, that fit your current body. Staring at your old clothes when they don't fit is such a bummer and I just bought a few cheap items I didn't love, to hold me over until they fit again -- which of course took way longer than I thought. if you wear clothes you don't love, you'll only feel worse about your body. I treated myself to some nicer clothes after my past pregnancy and I was actually bummed this summer because they're way too big now! I loved them so much I thought about getting them taken in, but I plan to have another baby so I figure the day will come when they'll fit yet again, and I'll be grateful to have clothes I love, during a time when I'm never as comfortable with my body.

@randy229812 I second this recommendation of buying clothes that fit your current body! I bought a bunch of new clothes in my new bigger size and I really think feeling good in how I presented myself did wonders for my self confidence and helped me to stay motivated to get back to where I wanted to be body-wise. It was like as soon as I had clothes that I looked good in I actually wanted to go adventuring out and exercising outside! Now 7 months PP and nearly back into pre pregnancy clothes, but I will have the bigger size to fall back on after the next baby.

@uneliasihminen Yes! Once I finally broke down and bought myself some nice stuff, I IMMEDIATELY dropped a few lbs from the plateau I was in, and one of my new pair of shorts that I had only had for a month, no longer fit cause they were too big! And next time around when you pull out these clothes again, it'll remind you that "oh yeah, I was this size last time too, and it didn't stay that way forever".

@nomoresmiles I’m seven months postpartum and fit into some of my pre pregnancy favorites again. I’m still like…1.5 sizes bigger than I was before in tops/dresses/skirts. My hips/lower belly and ribcage/bust are larger and just generally very different from pre pregnancy so I’m not sure if a lot of my bras and jeans will ever fit again. I’m going to hold on to my favorites for at least another year though. My waist is bigger/thicker, and but I’m noticing the most obvious “recovery” in my waist and upper hips as I get back in shape. I haven’t lost any actual weight since 4 months postpartum, but I’ve lost a few inches from trying to save my poor stretched out abdominal muscles.

@nomoresmiles I kept some of my absolute favourites but had to downsize my wadrobe a bit… honestly a bunch of it was pretty old anyway. I agree with everyone saying wait 2ish years.

Back