How/are you changing what your <5 y.o. does in light of Omicron and the Pfizer vaccine trial issues?

@pcross39
Can you please cite me a study that concludes long-COVID is pretty common in children? Thanks!

Article about a study; study link provided at end of article.

In January, they reported in a preprint that more than one-third had one or two lingering symptoms four months or more after infection, and a further one-quarter had three or more symptoms. Insomnia, fatigue, muscle pain and persistent cold-like complaints were common — a pattern similar to that seen in adults with long COVID. Even children who’d had mild initial symptoms, or were asymptomatic, were not spared these long-lasting effects, Buonsenso says. The findings, published in a peer-reviewed journal in April1, sparked a deluge of e-mails and calls from anxious parents. “It was like we opened the door, and everyone — mostly parents themselves — were starting to say, ‘Okay, so maybe this is something we should ask about,’” he says. The hospital now runs a weekly outpatient clinic to meet demand.

@christina12345 There is so much noise on this topic. Here is a much more recent study (mid-November) showing the opposite result, most children recover completely from COVID within a month, and even those with persistent symptoms clear up within a few months.

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(21)00555-7/fulltext?s=09

Personally, after reading about it, I am of the opinion that Long COVID fears are exaggerated for adults, and even more so for children. So I plan on continuing to live life with my son and help him have a full, colorful, normal childhood. You're free to choose differently for your family, but I truly believe in 5 years you will look back and see it was unnecessary.

@christina12345 Also, not to be a pill, but the author of the very study you cited literally said this in the article:

"Armann suspects numbers might not be that high. Long-COVID symptoms include fatigue, headache, difficulty concentrating and insomnia. He says that other pandemic-related phenomena, such as school closures and the trauma of seeing family members sick or dying from COVID-19 could result in those symptoms too, and artificially inflate long-COVID estimates. “You need a control group to tease out what is truly infection-related,” he says.

He and his colleagues have been taking blood samples from secondary-school children in Dresden since May 2020 to track rates of infection. In March and April this year, surveys were taken from more than 1,500 children — nearly 200 of whom had antibodies indicating previous SARS-CoV-2 infection — to see how many reported long COVID.

In May, Armann’s group reported in a preprint that it found no difference in rates of symptoms reported by the two groups3. “This was kind of striking,” says Armann, and suggests that long COVID in children is probably lower than some studies have indicated. That doesn’t mean that long COVID doesn’t exist in children, he says, but it does mean the number is probably below 10%, a level that would have been picked up in the study. The true figure is perhaps as low as 1%, he says."

You copy-pasted the fearful intro and didn't include the very strong caveat.

@pcross39 And saying that there is “very very little known risk” requires an extreme interpretation of what is known. What is known is that long covid definitely happens in children, including cognitive issues and organ damage. It’s just a fact. And currently there is a pretty huge range of what the risk is. I’m sure you can find a study to support any position you prefer to take.

A risk that is not well understood should not be equated to low risk.

Look, if you want to announce to the world that the risk doesn’t concern you, that’s fine.

But instead you are announcing to the world that its a “very very little known risk”. That’s a problem. It’s simply not true.

Go live your life and do what you will with your child, but if you try to spread misrepresentation of the risk, you’re going to get called on it.

@christina12345 I find this conversation absolutely ridiculous. We accept all sorts of unknown risks every single day. I'm not going to stop living life with my family because of a possible 1% risk of having a condition that seems to resolve almost entirely within a year. You're welcome to live life that way, but I won't, and my son won't either. Take care.

@pcross39 Except that you can’t prove the risk is 1%. No one knows the exact risk.

Also, I prefaced this whole conversation by stating that we all take calculated risks every time we step into a car, etc. I don’t fault you for taking calculated risks. I fault your calculation.

@jim2010 A few more months is breaking point for me. I have barely been keeping it together thinking my 3 year old would be fully vaccinated by March. I can't right now. I just can't. A few more months will break me.

@jim2010 IF it even works. And then we don’t get our kids started until May with no real protection until august at the earliest. That’s only slightly better than worthless.

@pcross39 The the post you are referring to has a bad headline. If you click on the link the article says that this set back doesn't effect the plan to apply for emergency authorization in the second quarter of 2022 or somewhere between April and June of 2022. It also says they will be starting trials in January. I don't blame you for being confused but this is really only a minor glitch and they just need to re adjust the dosage.

@agent47 I'm not sure many parents are going to feel comfortable giving an emergency authorization vaccine to infants, but idk.

Most parents I know are even waiting on full approval for the currently approved vaccine for 5-16.

Edited to add: Even best-case-scenerio 5 months longer of restrictions on children seems unnecessary. Plus, even then people will be worried about the next wave and next booster.

COVID is going to be endemic and protection will not be perfect.

@pcross39 It's not going to be pushed back years.

The vaccine is fine, they are just trying to figure out the minimum dosage to still have an effect. 2-5 got delayed because the dosage they gave wasn't enough. (it was actually fine for

@unitedmethodistman18 Great, but waiting to do things with family and friends because of Omnicron fears and lack of a vaccine is still unnecessary and not data-driven. It's fear-driven and this sub is supposed to be parents who care most about hard, cold science.

@pcross39 I didn't say anything about waiting.
We are still going out and doing stuff.
However with the rise in cases we are definitely more hesitant to go to any crowded indoor areas with my son.

It's too early to change behavior based on what omicron may or may not do. The (semi expexted) holiday rise in cases is discouraging.

@unitedmethodistman18 Then I agree with you. 😊 (Sorry, I'm playing whack-a-mole with hardcore restrictionists in my replies. I assumed you were one of them.)

I also am wary of crowded places rn, but that's out of a concern for RSV or the seasonal flu, which is much more deadly for infants than COVID.

Back