How/are you changing what your <5 y.o. does in light of Omicron and the Pfizer vaccine trial issues?

@liv2worship And the next varient, and the next varient, and so on until it's a decade later and we are still living with restrictions? I'm not signing up for that, sorry.

@introverteen To me this is the same argument anti-vaxxers use. "We don't know what the effects could be, so we are choosing to operate with the worst-case scenario."

Again, not scientific. I believe in evidence, not hypotheticals. You cannot see the future and will go mad trying.

@introverteen https://journals.lww.com/pidj/Fulltext/2021/12000/How_Common_is_Long_COVID_in_Children_and.20.aspx

This study and basically all studies on the subject say it's really hard to tell results and differentiate between long covid and just pandemic over-all effects.

To me, that seems to suggest that keeping children in and prolonging the pandemic restrictions has almost the same negative consequences as possible long-COVID. So why would I choose that assured option for my child, and miss out on joy of life?

@introverteen How many years of data will you need to be comfortable with long-COVID concerns in children? We have 2 already showing it is extremely unlikely to happen in children. Will it take a decade or more before parents are convinced there aren't sneaky side-effects waiting to pop up?

That sounds like anti-vaxxer logic. "I need more time to make sure the vaccine is safe."

@pcross39 We don’t have any data of long term effects of Covid in children. If you know of any studies I haven’t seen feel free to share them I would be happy to change my view.

@cqw Mixed reporting on this, but even if it takes just 8 more months, that's a long time to further deprive children of normal childhood.

Also, the post was primarily about omnicron changing plans, regardless of a vaccine. Parents with vaccinated children are still changing plans. That makes no sense to me.

@edwina958 Kids and babies are really low risk for covid. I treat it like other illnesses (flu, RSV)— hand washing, avoid large indoor gatherings, avoid unvaccinated folks. But we’re going to daycare, museums, zoo, seeing friends and relatives who are fully vaccinated and traveling to see grandparents.

@nearu I really hate it when people say this although it may be true, very low risk until it happens to you. My 6 week old had covid over the summer. 9 days straight with a fever, raspy breathing, this was considered mild but very scary for me.

@intothevoid True, I was very cautious with my baby until about 3 months because young infants are higher risk for respiratory illnesses (including covid). But like the above poster said— RSV and Flu are actually much MORE dangerous at this age so I try to treat Covid the same way I would flu. (Still some level of caution for sure, but not avoiding everything). I’m glad your baby is doing ok

Back