Hey low suppliers, when did you stop breastfeeding?

oceanbreeze4evr

I’m almost 11 months post partum and am starting to consider stopping. I’ve been combo feeding since birth due to supply issues. From month 4-8 I was on domperidone and was able to pump about 3-4 oz a day. Now I’m back to about one ounce per day. I honestly don’t know why I keep doing this. Well, I suppose I do know why… because i can’t emotionally detach myself from breastfeeding. Had I been a regular supplier I’d probably breastfeed to 3 years… but I’m not sure all this effort is good for either one of us. When did you stop?

@oceanbreeze4evr Hi, I'm back. So I gave up breastfeeding and pumping a few weeks ago because my baby was not a fan of breastfeeding and my pumping output became less and less. But randomly, baby latched on mother's day! I've been feeding him till about halfway with his bottle and then latching him and he seems happy and satisfied. I dunno if this applies to your case, but apparently after a few months our supply changes from making a supply to making milk on-demand so a lot of us end up being mistaken that we are under suppliers. So tracking output and weight is a better indicator than pump output. Wishing you the best on your journey, you are doing enough and your baby feeling your love no matter what 💕

@oceanbreeze4evr Hi I'm back, so my baby has always hated breastfeeding for the most part and I was getting drops pumping so I gave up pumping and breastfeeding a few weeks ago, but all of a sudden my baby started latching! I would bottle feed like half the amount he normally feeds so he isn't over hungry and then latch him and he seems satisfied and happy! Apparently after a few months our milk production regulates from creating a supply to being more on-demand production so maybe that's why I wasn't seeing anything from pumping and also baby helps us produce the hormones for the let-down. So I dunno, just

@cindia I stopped having him latch during the day when teeth came in at six months. Since then I just offer the breast at night… and I think he just nibbles but doesn’t get much.

@oceanbreeze4evr Yeah it's probably not much right now what he's getting, I'm going to try to latch him as much as possible and maybe my supply could increase. If not it's okay, I'll take what I can get to bond in this way however long I can ❤️

@oceanbreeze4evr I had a low supply on my son 20 years ago. No Internet or access to anyone who could advise me on breastfeeding. Any time tried pumping I got nothing honestly I didn't know what I was doing. My supply dried up and he refused to nurse at 5 months just after I returned to work. I'm 4 months in with my daughter and have been able to pump an extra 2 oz a day along with nursing. I'm due back to work soon. I plan to try pumping at work I just don't know how that will go.

@oceanbreeze4evr I had low supply, combo fed from the beginning. My son self weaned from the breast at 6 months, so I exclusively pumped after that. Around 6 months I was pumping 6 oz/day, 7 months 5 oz/day, 8 months 4 oz/day. Once I noticed the trend that every month I would lose an oz/month, I knew I could probably get to 12 months, which I did. But I chose to stop then. Pumping for me was emotionally exhausting because it was a constant reminder that I was not making enough. When my son self-weaned, that was hard for me too because I lost the physical/emotional bonding with him during breastfeeding. Maybe if he was still latching to the breast, I would have continued longer.
I'm so sorry you struggle with low supply. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I, too, would probably have breastfeed until 2-3 years if my body allowed for a full supply.

@oceanbreeze4evr I’m a low supplier and probably made 7oz a day at my max. I dropped to pumping once a day when she turned a year, and stopped pumping when she stopped taking bottles, but we’re still feeding to sleep at night at 21 months. I’m not gonna lie I love the cuddles. I doubt I’m making anything anymore, but when this baby is tired or doesn’t feel good, I’m the one she wants and I’m soaking that in as long as possible.

@oceanbreeze4evr I’m not even at a month and keep asking myself this. We’ve been supplementing essential since the first post hospital appt. My production is so varied because I have issues with eating enough to provide enough. It also has become such a comfort for him that it ends up with him sleeping on my more than eating and then I pump after. I want to go for a year but I’m worried I’ll barely make it to going back to work.

@oceanbreeze4evr Not a low supplier, but switching to combo feeding at 10 weeks. Nursing has been a journey for us and after a two week and incredibly stressful nursing strike (and my hatred of pumping), we are slowly introducing formula.

For days my LO would only fuss and cry and refuse to latch, and when she did latch it would only be for a few minutes. I know she wasn’t eating enough and that caused even more stress. We are finally back to easier latching for most feeds, but she still rarely eats for more than 7-8 mins and will only eat one side at a time. So she wants to eat every 1.5-2 hours during the day. The stress and anxiety around nursing was just too much for both of us.

I honestly think that stopping BF is a hard experience no matter how long you go. You have done wonderfully for your baby. And your feelings about stopping are valid.

@oceanbreeze4evr Since I couldn't BF and had to pump, I only made it 3 months. Unfortunately my LO didn't fully empty me out and I would get clogged ducts anytime I tried to just nurse her. I loved nursing her but hated pumping. I'd probably still be nursing if I could!

For me the tipping point was once I was supplying only 33% of her milk but I started thinking about it once I dipped to under 50% of her intake.

The catalyst was one cold fall morning after sharing a lovely early morning with my daughter, she was sleeping under blankets in my arms. I was enjoyed by the sunrise and holding my daughter when my pump alarm went off.

Then I thought about the next hour. Putting my daughter in the cold bassinet would wake her. Shed cry as I rock the bassinet and pump. Then she'd cry as I washed those pump parts for the millionth time. Or I could risk a fridge hack and put off the inevitable cycle one wash.

Then I thought ... Or I could just not....

@yourn1ghtmare So relatable. I’m not gonna lie— it’s been a long and stressful journey. And I do wonder what it could be like if I just stopped. I feel like every time I think stopping is a good idea, I end up having a night where he is upset and then comforted by my breast which then makes me think I can’t give this up yet. 😢

@oceanbreeze4evr I'm at 5 1/2 months with my twins. My goal was 6 months, and they will be 6 months on the 22. I will be stopping. I'm struggling with combo feeding and struggling mentally. I need more freedom.

@oceanbreeze4evr 2 years. After about 1yo it stopped being about food which was hugely helpful. It was just for comfort and sickness prevention/treatment, like twice a day. Easy to keep going as long as she wanted until she self weaned.

Back