Help me set expectations: How much of a relief, physically, is having the twins out?

billbydesign

36 Weeks today. We have our section scheduled for 37 weeks (carefully measured decision to go for a C that has to do with my health issues).

I'm so, so uncomfortable right now. The twins were both over 7 pounds on Monday, one nearly 8, so it's looking very likely that we'll have a 7.5 pounder and an 8+ pounder by next Friday. I've had PSD worsening since halfway through the pregnancy, and my hips are so painful that I can barely walk 20 feet at a time. Massive swelling in feet, legs, and stomach, worsening anemia, blood pressure that's pretty inconsistent but does spike if I exercise, B twin who loves to squish onto my lungs so I have to catch my breath if I sit up on the couch..... in short, I'm basically miserable and huge.

Today at our twice weekly biophysical profile (second to last!) the tech said, "I'm so sorry, but they look fantastic and I don't see anything to justify moving the delivery date up." Which made me laugh but was also kind of a letdown.

It's weird to hear the doctor say, "You've done so well, you should be really proud how far you've take this pregnancy and how healthy the twins are" when I'm in basically constant pain. But hey, I'll take misery for happy healthy babies.

Here's my question, though.

I know everyone says I'll be able to take a deep breath once they're out, and I'm looking forward to that. The doctor told me today that the massive amount of fluid I'm retaining (like an actual worrying amount, if I wasn't so close to the end they would be talking about going earlier) will get cleared by my kidneys in 3-4 weeks of marathon peeing. I don't expect the baby weight to come off for a year.

But... what about my poor aching hips? Anyone else have big twins? How soon could you walk without being in active pain? What level of relief should I expect, and what should I try to manage expectations on?

Edit: Wow, everyone has really made me feel better. Even the stories of "I still had X symptom for a few weeks and Y took longer to clear up" are just incredibly helpful. I'm feeling more optimistic and prepared now. Thanks so much!

@billbydesign I felt so much better almost immediately. Like as they were pulling the babies out during the csection I could just feel the weight literally being lifted off. Even recovering from the csection was so much better than the pain I was in at the end of pregnancy. You’re almost there it will be better so soon!

@katrina2017 I'll second this. I didn't gain a ton during pregnancy, but I could still barely breathe by the end. Recovery from c-section was a breeze compared to the insane swelling and difficulty breathing of pregnancy. I felt relief the instant the babies were out.

Edit to add more info: My twins were both just under 6 pounds, so a bit smaller. I was up and walking 12 hours after my c-section. Swelling took about 4 days to completely go away (this surprised me, as I foolishly assumed my swollen feet and ankles would disappear as soon as the babies had been yeeted out of me).

@katrina2017 This is how I felt too! Friends and family kept asking how I was after the C section and I kept saying that recovering from major surgery was nothing compared to being pregnant. I got to eat whatever I wanted again without feeling aweful, I was able to drink water, my movement was unrestricted. Even having a catheter for 24 hours was a nice reprieve from running to the bathroom every hour! The one thing that I did struggle with for the first few days was breathing properly again. While still in the hospital, the physiotherapist came and gave me exercises for that but pretty much said not being able to take full breaths was just psychological 🤣

@andrej558 The catheter, yes - I actually loved those 12 hours I got to spend just laying in bed, never getting up to pee. I have never confessed this to anyone else for fear of sounding weird, but I was a little disappointed when they took my catheter away 😂

@lovefirst36 Completely agree. Sleeping on my back (even with the incision and constant waking up to feed babies) was instantly more restorative than any pregnancy sleep.

The only caveat I have - my carpal tunnel took a full 6 weeks to go away. I didn’t have much swelling in my legs but my hands had bad carpal tunnel and the numbness lasted weeks. It felt like it would go on forever. It didn’t.

It’s going to be great, best of luck with the final push to the finish line!

@billbydesign Major. But I was still tired for a week. Like showers were exhausting. But my resting pulse went from over 110 bpm to 40 bpm, I could eat, and my heartburn was gone.

Those last weeks are a lot. You get through, you are "delivered of" your sweet littles.

The spinal before c/s was the moment I realized how painful my body had been because suddenly... it wasn't. It was weird. Bless the anesthesiologists. I remember I looked deeply into his eyes with gratitude.

I was walking around within the first day and enjoying all the food I could eat without nausea or heartburn or any restrictions at all. So much more room for activities!

Back