Getting ready for preschool

cyclone_105

Hello 👋🏻 I initially posted this on r/pottytraining, but no one has responded 😅😅So, my son is 3. He’ll be 4 in June and then plans to start preschool in August. He’s done pretty well with potty training for the most part and rarely, if ever, has accidents during the day anymore. The only time he has accidents is overnight because he still doesn’t identify when he needs to wake up to go potty. During the day, I always get him dressed and he can take off his underwear and pants by himself depending on the materials they are (jeans are notoriously harder for him), but he sometimes takes them all the way off so he can straddle the seat better and then he doesn’t know how to get them back on. Additionally, he doesn’t know how to wipe himself, and I’m not sure how to show him in the best way. How have y’all taught your kiddos how to wipe themselves well and also any suggestions for making it easier for them to put their own clothes on regardless of the fabric? Thanks in advance :)

@cyclone_105 We are in the thick of this right now. Kiddo is somewhat freshly 3 and starting pre-k in September has to be totally potty independent.

Firstly, put a diaper or pull up on at night. It's a biological thing, staying dry overnight, not a behavioral skill. There's no reason to try and "teach" overnight potty use. Put your efforts entirely on the day time.

We have set all jeans etc. aside for now. Kiddo is strictly in sweats and joggers. Make it as easy as possible.

We are basically trying to ratchet up the independence difficulty level a little at a time. Right now it's getting pants and underwear up and down. Next month we're going to tackle standing on a stool and using a big potty vs the training potty. Then we're going to start on wiping. And then proper hand washing. It just didn't make sense to try and master every aspect at once.

For wiping, I've heard the suggestion is to get a baby doll and smear peanut butter on the butt and then show the kid on the doll. I'll report back in a month or two? lol.

@cyclone_105 I did see a video where a dad had a stool with two balloons taped together and attached to the stool with peanut butter between the balloon cheeks. He then showed how you wipe. It really did give a good example of what it probably looks and feels like while on the toilet.

@cyclone_105 For pants, my son (4.5yo) doesn't wear pants with snaps or buttons to school, those are saved for weekends. His school pants are either elastic waist or tied. For the tied ones, I tie it so they stay up but still loose enough that he can pull them up and down for going potty.

Other than that, just have him practice a lot with pulling up his underwear and pants. He'll get there. And make sure he knows to pull up his underwear as soon as he's done, definitely before washing hands lol.

@cyclone_105 I’ve started telling kiddo he needs to put on his underwear and then I can help with pants.

My plan is to next have him pulling his pants over his feet, then I’ll help pull them up. (Ankles are tricky, he says.)

Trying to teach dressing in stages to reassure him he can do new things AND I’ll be there to help.

Back