First pregnancy ended with a loss.. Need some advice on what to expect.

luin31

On May 1st, I got my first positive pregnancy test (ok, maybe closer to 10 because I just couldn't believe what I was seeing) My boyfriend and I were SO excited, but not even a full month later I am now trying to navigate a loss. The thing is, I am not getting ANY straight forward answers from my OB, so I am really just looking for any possible scenarios of what to expect next in the miscarriage process. Here is a timeline of events leading up to my current situation:

5/1/24: First positive pregnancy tests.

5/8/24: Bleeding began, heavier than spotting but lighter than a period. It ranged from bright red, to brown, to light pink. I did not see any noticeable clots or tissue passed. Called my doctor and got my ultrasound pushed up sooner.

5/13/24: Bleeding has completely stopped and has not started again since.

5/14/24 I go in for my ultrasound with the expectation of seeing an empty uterus or being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. To my surprise, the doctor saw an gestational sac (with a possible fetal pole?) measuring on track with my LMP (6w). I was still weary, but the doctor said it could go either way at this point, but he seemed hopeful and ordered progesterone and beta hcg to be drawn as well as scheduled an ultrasound for 2 weeks out. The results were not good whatsoever, hCG: 143 & Progesterone: 0.89.

5/15: Doctor added a note to MyChart stating "This pregnancy is most likely a miscarriage, proceed with ultrasound to be sure" Naturally, I panic and start looking up my levels and ultrasound result, and found mostly poor outcomes, but came across several success stories as well.

5/21: Got the second beta hcg blood drawn, and the results were even worse: hCG of 8. Later that evening, I received a message from my doctor stating "hCG is very close to negative. The miscarriage is complete"

Here is my confusion/concern: I have not passed any sac, tissue or even clots really and I have had no cramps whatsoever. The only new symptoms I have encountered are low back pain and intermittent nausea. What kind of miscarriage does this even seem like it could be?

Everything I have researched has been where the heavy bleeding/cramping occurs and hCG levels are either rising or staying the same - not vice versa. I really am struggling in the unknown phase and what to expect. I have the follow up ultrasound on 5/28, but just trying to get some real life advice/experiences.

@luin31 A very early mc like this may not cause heavy bleeding, clots, pain, etc. I’ve had early mcs that are like a typical period once hcg is negative. You won’t see a sac or an embryo this early on in most cases. You may not bleed until hcg is at actual negative (below 5) and some people need help kick starting a bleed.

@wael I had an ultrasound about a week and a half ago and saw an empty sac measuring on track with my LMP and this past Tuesday my hcg was 8 - so I just hate this feeling of not knowing if something is coming or what. It’s all new territory for me and I am completely lost

@luin31 I don’t think there’s any doubt you’re losing this pregnancy since your hcg is 3 points away from being negative for pregnancy. You may bleed soon but just know that not every early mc has clots and heavy bleeding and pain. It sounds like there was a sac but if hcg is almost negative that’s an indication that the pregnancy is failed. I’m sorry.

@wael Yes, I had already accepted that it is a loss. I just wasn’t sure what to expect next. I appreciate you for the response!!

@luin31 I would expect another period in the next few weeks and ask for an ultra sound to check there's no retained tissue afterwards.

If you get a fever or ill in the interim, please visit an urgent care. Some people end up needing antibiotics and/or meds to help expell the remaining tissue.

@luin31 I’m so sorry for your loss. You should expect to bleed, possibly a more painful and heavy period-like experience. But it does vary person to person. I would definitely be expecting it within the next week, and ask for medication if it does not start so that the risk of infection is reduced especially since the miscarriage process started over a week ago with the initial bleeding. So monitor for signs of infection too. Hugs

@luin31 Hi there, I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this. Have you been bleeding at all? If so, then the miscarriage may have occurred already, there may not be anything identifiable passed at this early stage.If not, then you may need to take medication to bring on the miscarriage. Bleeding doesn’t always start on its own. I hope you get some resolution soon and can move on when you’re ready.

@tass The only bleeding was about two weeks ago and was less than a period - not filling a whole regular pad over the span of a day (I was changing it more frequently but it wouldn’t have soaked a pad) and that was before my ultrasound when I saw the gestational sac 😩

@luin31 It sounds as though you have to wait for the bleeding to start then. The doctor will discuss if you want to wait for it to start on its own or take medication to bring it on. Having been through one myself at this stage it won’t be much worse than a period. I’m sorry.

@luin31 I am sorry for your loss, we had a chemical pregnancy back in September and we didn’t even see a sac after I bled. I was shocked and the doctor couldn’t give me much answers. She said it’s most likely chromosomes didn’t line up and body discards the baby in that case. It was heartbreaking as we were not expecting that. But, stay positive and every pregnancy is different. Wait for one cycle and then you can try again. If you are able to get pregnant, it’s a positive sign and eventually chromosomes will line up. Good luck to you!

@luin31 This sounds more like chemical pregnancy which I experienced, it really only lasted like 10 days. Sorry for your loss. I am currently pregnant - 24 weeks and better days are ahead for you too🩷🙏🏻

@lucille1073 Even with there being a sac on ultrasound?? That’s what has me stumped!

I am SO happy & excited for you and your little baby! I am just ready for the waiting/what if games to be over

@luin31 I should have mentioned earlier. I was checked by doctor and there was no sac and hcg was around 2. I have done the pregnancy test just a day before my period starts, we were trying and I was pretty sure. My periods are always on time, normally. I guess my body tried but it didn’t happen somehow.

I would monitor myself if I were you. Please do not stress and get in touch with your DR if you realize something is off.

Thank you🥹 Wishing you the best and praying for you!!

@lucille1073 Thank you for sharing!! I have my follow up ultrasound appointment this Tuesday so hopefully I get some answers as to what’s going on - I just want to have some possibilities before going. Wishing the best for you as well!