FDA Issues Warning Letters to Three Infant Formula Manufacturers

@jeremyumc The CDC recommends a water temperature of 158 degrees F when preparing powdered formula. This is hot enough to kill cronobacter but is still well below the boiling point of 212 degrees F.

@jeremyumc I does seem like an oddly specific temperature! However, when you realize that the Celsius equivalent is 70 degrees, it’s like “oh, okay.” So the water used to make powdered formula should be 158 F / 70 C.

@jeremyumc It might denature the proteins but that wouldn't affect the nutritional composition. If anything it would just make it easier to digest. The digestive system needs to break it all apart to use anyway.

@peanutcm UK midwife here. Boil the kettle for each bottle and allow to cool for 20-30 mins (gives a temp of around 70C). Then make up bottle, and cool bottle as a whole. That’s our advice.

Things such as the above is why we don’t recommend Prep Machines that add a cold shot, or making up bottles with anything other than hot water.

@8weaponx Please listen to Bryntripp! I know kettles aren’t as universal as they are in Ireland/England but it’s worth the investment.

Also with the multiple formula scandals from the US, I honestly don’t know why the guidance hasn’t been updated to boiling the water/letting it cool a bit at this point. It’s just not worth the risk.

Back