Dog nipped baby (X-posted)

@mamak I'm good. Minus some PTSD and not being able to go out in the cold without a major headache. I'm just VERY weary of dogs now...and my kids also feel that.

As a side note...I am tired of the van Gogh jokes. Lol.

@captseriouspants Oh no! I would be too!

I was hoping your ear was able to be sewn back on.

There are these cool headbands that go over ears to keep them warm like half beanies you can always look into that to keep headaches away!

I have a second cousin who was bit in the face by a dog as a toddler she had a big scar on her e cheek it’s not awful but of course she would rather not have a memory of a dog bite permanently on her face! And my friends dog big her son in the face because he is old and he became startled.

I see so many posts on here about dog bites or dog growled at my child. I’ll be the first one to say re-home or cut ties with bad pet owners

@mamak Since it was ripped, not cut, off they couldn't sow it back on. Too much damage.
When I got to the ER they trimmed off the parts that they couldn't fix and sent me on my way.

I had a plastic surgeon "replace" my ear...but it's not the same and it still aches. I will tell you, I would have paid to not have that happen. So I will make an effort to make sure it doesn't happen to my kids.

Some dogs don't do well with kids. As long as people are aware of that and make an effort to protect people, I'm good. I'm just hesitant around dogs out of PTSD than anything.

@captseriouspants Well you have every right to be weary around dogs. I once was chased around a neighborhood by four or five dogs while running.

And another time a chihuahua chased me trying to bite my ankle. So I also am cautions

@captseriouspants So this is random but man I’m so proud of my sister. Her normally sweet dog has barked at my toddler twice and my sister just told me I’d she barks one more time she’s going in the kennel! These dogs are their babies and she’s just like nope I’m not taking more nonsense

@agilefeet You’re right about keeping the baby from the dog, especially if the owner won’t crate the dog when the baby is present.

Side note, though: what is the deal with people being offended that you’d opt to get a hotel room rather than stay all together in the same house? I’ve heard this from several friends and it is bizarre to me. Adults, especially adults with little babies, can totally get their own sleeping accommodations (and rental cars!) to allow for some autonomy and privacy. You are well within your normal rights as adult people to make that choice!

@lalizdear Right? “I’m gonna spend my hard earned money so we can all be more comfortable and hang out when we feel like it” somehow is offensive. Don’t get it.

@agilefeet As someone who was bit in the face by a dog as a toddler, DO NOT Let that dog near your baby ever again. I was absolutely terrified of that dog and I hated being around it, he would also growl at me for no reason. Honestly never provoked it in any way. I was terrified of dogs and it took me a while to get over my fear. I do have some fear when I see an unknown bigger dog run at me but man I will never let my kids go through what I did. I love dogs now and I let dogs around my kids but I watch very closely because even the most trained dog can snap if they only have kids visiting. I know it’s going to be awkward but do your best to keep your kids safe until they are old enough to push them away. Even if you have to be around the dog again, don’t leave the baby in reach of the dog. Can they be reasoned with and the dog can stay in another room for a couple of hours while you are there to give you some breathing room but let them out and then you hold your baby when the dog roams it’s house?

Sorry you are in this situation.

@agilefeet Your spouse is right. Stay in a hotel, your baby’s safety is above anyone’s feelings.

They are being a bit insensitive trying to “lighten up the mood” with pictures of the dog and other kids.

@agilefeet I don't feel like they are being caring or considerate about the dog bite at all. I think that's more of a concern; if they were taking care of the situation and willing to also be careful it would be different, but I get the feeling that they are laughing about it and it bugs me.

Obviously you have more insight than I do. :)

@agilefeet The fact is, the dog tried to bite the baby. Therefore: dog is not safe for baby; baby is not safe around the dog. This is very, very, very simple math. Dog + baby = unsafe. Your job as a parent is to keep baby safe.

I get the sense that there is awkwardness or tension because someone is trying to negotiate the facts here and convince you your math is wrong, when everyone knows there’s only one possible outcome of this event: the dog is no longer around the baby.

You’re not passing judgement on these people or their dog by just stating the facts, and you don’t need to apologize for keeping your baby safe. So just be matter of fact when talking about your plans.

“We obviously won’t be able to stay with X because the dog is not safe for the baby.”

If the gathering is at someone else’s house: “The dog needs to be put away/ not be there when we come over because the baby is not safe around the dog. Is that something you can guarantee, or should we plan to visit at a different time?”

If the gathering is at the dog owner’s house: “We won’t be able to come unless you’re able to put the dog away when the baby is there. If that’s a problem, please let us know so we can cancel our plans.”

Some other lines you might need to break out:

“I understand the dog has been great around other kids. That’s not been our experience, so we’re not willing to risk it.”

Any mention of the word overreaction: “I understand your desire to downplay the situation, but the fact is that the dog bit our baby. We got extremely lucky last time, and we’re not likely to be that lucky again. You may think the risk is small, but it’s not one we’re willing to take.”

@trob The newborn was in their rocker. Under adult supervision. It was nipped at while being picked up by an adult, from its rocker, in a home that was not the dog owners.

And I’ve read all of your comments, and there seems to be a language barrier. You clearly don’t understand what the op has written, and nobody understands your comments.

Back