Doc Says Don’t Go Over 140?

@graces Same here! Did OTF 6x a week up until the day i delivered my son and had no issues. I stopped running around 32 weeks and switched from rowing to the bike at around 30 weeks. Obviously, as i got further along in my pregnancy, my speeds decreased and so did the weights. Currently 5 weeks pregnant again and plan to go 4-5x a week.

@jltaylor196335 That’s goals! I was going 3x a week last pregnancy and stopped rowing around 18 weeks and switched to power walking at 24. My balance was so bad and running made me feel like my bladder was going to fall out of my body.

This time around I’m in much better shape. I’m hoping to keep up 4x a week and row/ run longer than last time!

@graces lol…i feel you on the bladder pressure. I used to have to go to the bathroom basically halfway through the class once i made it to the third trimester. Listening to your body and realizing you won’t hit any PRs for a while i feel can be counterintuitive to going to OTF but once i got over that, i was just happy to be moving my body. Definitely going to listen to my body and be ok with many green days this pregnancy.

@jltaylor196335 I PR’d the 12 minute run for distance this week by .01 and then told myself that was enough for the next 30 weeks. But couldn’t resist the torture that was Sunday’s hill block. I guess my body isn’t ready to slow down yet!

@ruella My doctor said don’t go over 150 but then I can’t even get a decent workout done. Apparently its super outdated info. If you’re doing what you did before becoming pregnant, then you should be fine to continue. Obviously listen to your body and don’t push yourself too hard. Take breaks when necessary and if something doesn’t feel right, adjust & modify.

I’ll be 30 weeks this week and baby is looking just right!

@ruella Here’s a study explaining why the 140 recommendation is outdated and that it was actually removed from the ACOG guidelines (this backs up the “boomer math” comment 😂):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9830234/#:~:text=The%20guidance%20indicated%20that%20exercise,140%20bpm%20(Table%201).

It also talks about how heart rate is not a great indicator of intensity during pregnancy. I have found this to be true for myself as previously I could do sprint interval workouts at around 160-170bpm and now even walking gets my hr up to 120 sometimes. I generally try not to go over 170-180 but I’ve used the talk test and how I’m feeling/breathing as more of an indicator

@ruella The NP on my first appointment said that but the doctor said it’s outdated and follow that I can talk during it and not completely breathless it’s okay.

I started bleeding once from exercise so I have to watch what I do and if it continues stop with my OTF like exercising

@michocampos1987 I could say a few words or a line of a song between 150-160, but not have a conversation. I feel like I can have a conversation I’m not putting any effort in/working out.

@ruella My OB told me 170 and still able to speak (not whole conversations but I shouldn’t be a gasping fish) and I was fine with that up until I got injured in third tri/stopped vigorous cardio.

@ruella I’m also @ OTF, and when I spoke with my OB about it, she advised me that as long as I’m not starting something new, then just listen to my body and tailor accordingly.

I’m 35 weeks, and looks like my last workout my average HR was 146, and max was 180, usually on the tread I’ll keep it between 150 and 180 by running (fast jog, really) pushes/all outs on a slight incline, and power walking bases because that’s what I’m most comfortable with these days

@wicowgirl4christ I’ve been doing OTF for 6 years. So definitely not new. I think I’m just in shock and also feel weird about being like I know I asked you, but I’m gonna do what I want any way

@ruella I was very active prior to getting pregnant, my OB suggested staying under 170. Mostly because of blood volume and concerns of light-headedness, she never said anything about oxygen deprivation to the baby. I followed that advice fairly closely, a few times got to 180 accidentally and never had an issue… had a healthy pregnancy and baby. She’s three now and a firecracker… maybe I should’ve chilled more when she was in utero 😂

@ruella That’s totally a outdated theory and never been proven scientifically.

I have heart palpitations that have my heart rate upwards of 250 and my cardiologist and OBGYN both reassured me that the baby would be totally fine and not deprived of oxygen even during palpitations, but you may notice your heart rises mor quickly with less strenuous activity, because your body will prioritize the baby’s needs over yours.

I think the main concern with exercise is the risk of overheating which is pretty hard to do when you’re indoors in winter anyways, but could potentially be something to keep an eye on if you do intense cardio.