Can't get pregnant after 3 years of attempts

@wael They do vaginal monitoring, i'm not sure the name. But they only checked to see if the eggs were fully mature for the trigger shot. They didn't do any test afterward to see if the eggs are actually released and how long it takes for them to be released. By the time we check for the next cycle, it's new eggs. So obviously they're being released at some point, but I wonder if they're assuming 24hrs but really it's between 2-3 days...? Not sure

@thecookdebra Thyroid is maintained and reverse maintained by pituitary gland which in turn directs all the other reproductive hormones. TSH is secreted by pituitary gland which suggests thyroid gland to produce T3 and T4 which directs the body temperature and metabolism which in turn affects insulin - another very important factor in maintaining reproductive hormone balance in PCOS.
In short if insulin is the mother of PCOS, thyroid is one of the fav aunts. I’d ask the RE or OB to check all the hormone panels including
FSH, LH, TSH, T3/T4, Estrogen, Progesterone, testosterone, AMH, prolactin at the least! Make sure you get these tests done on 3rd of her period / cycle.

@thecookdebra I’m sorry you guys are going through this! Did you get a sperm test?

I’d maybe get more info on the medicine as well as maybe a second opinion. IVF is pricey and depending on how you feel about medicine it might not be an option.

I wish you luck!

@thecookdebra Have you tried IUI yet or have you just done timed intercourse with her meds? IUI is like a clinical method of the Turkey baster but the clinic will check her levels and make sure she’s ovulating, and it works around 30% of the time, so most folks will need 3 rounds or less, and it’s a lot cheaper than IVF.

@kwlight That's not correct. 30% is the cumulative success rate for 3 cycles, not the success rate per cycle which is more like 8-12%, though individual factors will increase or decrease your chances.

IUI is a lot cheaper and less invasive than IVF, but it's also a lot less successful per cycle.

@joeylanc Yes, we tried only three cycles of timed intercourse with monitoring and meds. But we've only tried IUI once. So a total of four cycles. Our doctor said it's 20% chance each time and "simple math" he said... Five cycles and it's 100% chance of pregnancy. I didn't agree with the math at the time, but what you're explaining seems to make a whole lot more sense. Hense why I don't know if I 100% trust this doctor we're going to. Seems like just somethings are off. But maybe I'm just not asking him enough questions.

@thecookdebra Are you seeing an RE or just an OB? Because that's totally incorrect, just mathematically. Five cycles at 20% is a 67% chance of success mathematically. And that's assuming your chances stay 20%, with medicated IUI, your chances decrease after 3 cycles. I'm not sure it's exactly the same with medicated cycles alone, but I guess there's diminishing returns at some point.

@thecookdebra I’ve seen online Maca root helps to get pregnant especially if you have PCOS as it helps the woman ovulate. take it leading up until day of ovulation. Also recommend C0q10 i belive it’s called for egg quality. Insotiol & a pre natal. Hijama/ Acupunture. unsure if you’ve seen these things already but this is just what i’ve seen. best of luck

@thecookdebra I have family members who have had success with IVF. We thought we needed to go straight to IVF after my HSG test mistakenly read that my tubes were blocked. They told me the only thing they regret about IVF was not doing it sooner. It can be hard on your body but if it’s successful you may only have to have 1 egg retrieval for multiple embryos.

For us we plan on trying IUIs in January, if those are unsuccessful then we’re moving straight to IVF. No more waiting and living month to month.

Back