C section aftercare: a warning

@polarbearwear Oh dear I am so sorry. I had no intention of scaring anyone and I truly apologize. The only reason this moment is painful for me is because I forgot to take medicine like I was supposed to. I did the big dumb. If you remember your meds, this moment of peril can be avoided.

Overall, my induction and subsequent c section were not nearly the horrifyingly painful events I expected. The section felt suuuuper weird but it didn’t hurt at all. The worst part was I threw up once on the table since I was still technically going through transition labor. Which in itself was not very painful at all, just made me nauseous.

Yes, having a c-section has resulted in me being sore in places I did not expect to be sore. But the last few days have been better than bearable with great nurses looking after me to make sure I took meds when I needed.

I promise you if you end up with a c-section, it will be alright and you can do it. 💛 Honestly I feel like I got the easy way out with not having to push a baby out of my vagina. It was a beautiful moment that I will treasure for the rest of my life and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Best of luck on your journey. If you have any questions at all about what may be expected with a c-section, you are welcome to DM me and I’ll give you all the deets and encouragement you may need 💛

@kellygok Can I pick your brain too? because it looks like I will have to have a c-section (its my first baby I am 36 weeks and she is still breech) and I am so scared about the recovery and what that will actually be like! For instance, does Tylenol and Ibupropfen really manage the pain of such major surgery?? ahhhh!

@lily01 Of course! I was scared shitless being wheeled to the operating room so I am happy to ease any anxieties for anyone who may have to go through a section for the first time.

So far, the tylenol and ibuprofen on a strict every-4-to-6-hr schedule has been helpful. I’m still mildly sore with that medication but can still function. The worst part is standing up. Once you’re up and walking its just a mild discomfort. Kind of like a drawn out, gentle period cramp.

Also, something I’ve just learned in the last five minutes: don’t take the full 10mg of oxycodone if you freak out from missing your med window and end up in horrible pain. I am now high as balls and my partner will be supervising this next feeding 😅. Just take the 5mg and wait to see how it feels. I promise the delayed help is worth it to prevent the room from spinning.

@kellygok Haha! I remember taking 60mg of codine for back pain a few years ago and I was just laying on the floor high off my tits thinking "is this better than the pain??". I don't know if they offer opiates in the uk after c-sections, I kind of hope they do... but I did want to ask if you can breast feed if you take them? Also how are you sleeping? They tell you to rest... but surely thats limited when baby is here too? Do you have to ask someone to pass the baby too you?

@lily01 You can still breastfeed while taking oxycodone. As far as sleepiness... idk it’s our first night home and the adrenaline has done a good job keeping me awake when I need to be 😅 I’ve been able to get up and pick up baby but my partner has helped a lot with maneuvering pillows and settling into feeding times. Accept any and all help available to you.

@lily01 Ask away! Not OP, but 6w post c-sec! For me, they gave me oxycodone when I was leaving the hospital. Tylenol and ibuprofen was every 6-8h, not 4 like OP. My ibuprofen was supposed to be every 8, but my SIL is a dr, and said I could totally do every 6, so I did that instead and alternated that with the Tylenol so I was taking one of them every 3h, and I tried to line these up with feeds. I took the oxycodone regularly and then tried to wean myself off of it. That didn’t work, so I went back to my OB and got more oxy at 1w2d post. I was glad I did and stayed on a low dose of oxy for another 4 days. I opted for the do more on pain meds (walking, standing etc) instead of do less and stay in bed/couch. The pain was definitely manageable.

If I were you and knew I was having a csec, I would shave myself right before going in! Somehow the way they shaved me left me with lots of ingrown hairs right along my incision and that was annoying and uncomfortable.

Things that surprised me: the skin below your belly button but above your incision will be really sore to the touch since all the nerves reconnect. This will fade! It will take about 6months for the scar to fully heal and soften underneath. You might also have more pain on one side than the other.

@crownfair Oh so they shave the really light hairs on your lower belly too? I didn't know that (i shave ze Bush every time I wash so thats already covered hehe I have had to get pretty creative at reaching that area but where there is a will there is a way!)

But here are some questions I have: How did you find sleeping after surgery (and how did that work with waking up for baby every few hours?) When did the wound really hurt? What did you need to avoid? What really helped? Did you need other people to do a lot for you? How long before you didn't need to take meds religiously to manage the pain? How did you keep the site dry (i mean you still have a pregnant looking belly for a while after birth... isn't it more likely to get moist there and risk infection?) how did you wash yourself? Sorry if this is a lot! Feel free not to answer if your not comfortable! Much appreciated 🙏

@lily01 Just for other input: My incision was also under my pubic hair. Sleep was... not really an option with my baby lol. I didn't sleep almost at all in the hospital over 3 nights, and I mean that literally. My boy nursed nonstop and would never, ever sleep in his bassinet. That's a whole other chapter... But anyway, sitting up out of bed was difficult so I propped myself up as much as I could at home. My pain was the worst over the first few days and got progressively better over two weeks. I avoided anything and everything I didn't have to do. No cooking or cleaning the first two weeks. Also watch out because my incision was the exact height of the counter tops and crib. Be careful leaning into things. My husband really helped lol. Have lots of groceries and have your house as ship shape as possible before hurricane baby hits. I didn't need a lot more help than my husband, but I 100% needed him. He changed all the diapers the first week, and I did all the nursing. He also got me water, food, my pain meds. I wasn't taking any pain meds after two weeks.

Now this was the weird part--- keeping the incision dry. When I had my c-section, they did not tell me what they did. I had a big, thick gel-like bandage on it. They told me the bandage stays on until my one week check appointment. I didn't even know what was under there. Staples? Stitches? No idea. So I didn't have to worry about it all the first week. It could get wet, I could put clothing on it. When the bandage finally came off at the appointment (which was a free, very slow waxing, ouch), it was glue! And the incision just looked like a papercut. They told me to shower like normal and then just pat it dry.

@adam1983irwin I am really glad to hear that you can wash normally! I just had these visions of being doubled over, stinky and in pain with unsettled baby... That's increadible that they glue it so well! I am so glad that my partner is prepared to be so hands on (it sounds like your partner really stepped up to the job)

I feel a lot better reading these replies. I feel like I can probably be the recovering milk production factory for the first few weeks as long as the pain is managable :D

@lily01 No, just the bush. My incision is below my hairline. I don’t normally shave that area (just keep it trimmed) and was advised by others not to shave down below in the event of tearing during a vaginal birth.

Sleeping was fine enough, and I was in the hospital for 3 nights. I would wake up when baby cried, and try and fall back asleep if hubby was managing her and he’d make sure I was awake to feed her. Day 3 was the most painful (except when I vomited 7hrs after surgery...) I avoided picking things up, lifting things above my arms, anything that really used my core muscles. I got help sitting up/getting up for the first few days, and generally just moved really slow. I took oxy until 1w5d, and Tylenol/ibuprofen until about 2w3d, and slowly just took it when I needed it. I kept the steristrips on it until the day before my 2w follow up. I could shower and wash it gently with mild soap, and just dried it off gently with a towel. I didn’t have an issue with moisture. I chose to wear super high waisted panties ((these) when my belly went down enough and preferred the fridamom disposables for the first week.

@lily01 If you want another one to chime in, I needed the oxy pills too. I tried to be a martyr and not touch them because it's been drilled into me that anything other than OTC pain meds are BAD DRUGS. How could I be a good new mom if I was ON DRUGS? Not true.

You really just have to listen to your body, and also anticipate when you're going to have to push yourself a bit to plan accordingly. I needed them for things like showers, the car ride home, the car ride to the first pediatrician appointment at one week. My pain was pretty up there in the hospital, but only when I was standing or walking and because I was afraid of the medicine. In bed I had no pain at all on the Tylenol and Ibuprofen. In hindsight, I probably should have been asking for the stronger pain meds in the beginning instead of trying to force myself to power through it and saying no. A nurse told me when I was in obvious pain "Just because you're a mom now doesn't mean you have to suffer." She then went on to say if I had this kind of surgery in other other part of the hospital, I'd have a pain pump. That was honestly what clicked for me to start saying okay to the stronger pain meds.

All in all, there was definitely pain. However, I never had one contraction. My SIL labored for days with terrible contractions. The birth process was very positive with zero pain or discomfort other than my IV. I felt an immense sense of relief that I didn't have to do anything but lie still at that point after all the anticipation of a regular birth. After I managed to waddle to the toilet, I could pee with abandon without having to worry about peri bottles or tears. I felt happy as a clam if I could be sitting. After two weeks, I felt totally normal with most activities (though you're still supposed to take it easy for 8 weeks). I have no interest in trying a v-bac and will be planning to have a scheduled c-section for my next. I'm nervous because I know it was tough, but I also know what to expect.

@lily01 Not OP, but I had a c section on Feb 3, was discharged on Feb 5, and was sent home with hydrocodone and ibuprofen (same meds I was given in the hospital after my IV was removed). I started feeling super weird from the hydrocodone, because narcotics, and had super heavy eyes and couldn't focus them. I stopped those and switched to extra strength tylenol on Feb. 7 and I've been fine!

Just make sure to stay on your med schedule, and REST. In the hospital, get up and move around as soon as you can. It's terrifying at first, but the more you move the easier your recovery. My hospital gave restrictions for what I can/can't do, if you get those also, be sure to follow them! They are inconvenient (no lifting anything heavier than baby) but necessary!

@lily01 I haven't had a c-section but I did have an open myomectomy back in June to remove a fibroid so I went through the recovery of a c-section. Make sure to time those pain meds! I was able to alternate between Tylenol and Ibuprofen and barely used my Oxy after the second or third day. I only used it at night to help me sleep. Also I would buy some mesh post partum underwear (like this!) off of Amazon - they are mesh and will not rub or put any pressure on your incision. The first few days post-surgery were not bad. Standing up from sitting does hurt quite a bit, especially in those several days after surgery but once you're standing, it's not bad. My husband helped me stand/sit for the first 5-6 days because I was terrified to slip and hurt myself. I slept in a recliner for the 4-5 days until I felt comfortable enough to lay flat. For wound care, I had staples that were removed 4 days post-op. My doctor then applied steri-strips that were on for 10 days. I was able to lightly wash around the incision when I got home from the staple removal that day (4 days post op) and my doctor even let me float in my home pool 6 days post op. :)

Of course I was not also managing a child at this time but will have to go through the same recovery in May with another c-section lol I am hoping by the time I'm out of the hospital in May, standing up won't suck as much.

@kellygok Don’t be sorry!! I’m an anxious person. I have a high pain tolerance from endometriosis but I’m still scared because 1) surgery 2) having to take care of a newborn right after surgery and 3) being a college student and starting three classes the week my daughter will be born 🤭 my husband keeps saying it’ll be fine but that kind of makes me mad. My feelings are valid you know? I didn’t enjoy anything about my first c-section so now it’s just like 🙄

@polarbearwear I see! Happy to know I didn’t offend though it was a nice reminder for me to include a note for any FTM that worry about going through a section. So thank you for that 😊

Being a student and knowing what may be expected with a section, your feelings are so valid . I hope your fella comes around to understanding the very reasonable stress you’re feeling, balancing school and home life go well for you and that this next (possible) section will be a positive and as painless as possible event.

Also, as someone who has yet to finish school and now with a baby of my own, you’re my hero for reminding me that it can be done.

@urbanbee God bless you. How is it? Twice the movement and stuff... are these your first babies? Twins run in my family and my husbands family and I have a 13 year old so I was really hoping it wasn’t twins lol i’d still be happy if it was though.

@polarbearwear It's wonderful and terrifying! No, these are babies 2 and 3. 2 girls. My first, a boy, just turned 2. This will be my second c section. My first c was terrible. Twins run in my family, too. Sending you love as you prepare for your second c section!

Back