Best things about minivans?

@porcupine73 I own 3. Yes 3 different minivans. 2 Toyotas and a Mazda 5. They are cheaper than SUVs. Better gas mileage than Suvs. Sliding automatic doors. You can literally fita 4x8 piece of plywood in the Toyota.

@redwinginco TLDR: They still run and we still needed the seats

1st Van 2005 Toyota Sienna (seats 8 named Vanessa) purchased when #3 was in the oven. Still runs great with over 200K miles

2nd Van 2013 Mazda 5 (seats 6 named Mazzi). Still needed 6 seats to fit the family if Vanessa is in the shop. Drives more like a car. Replaced my sedan when it gave up the ghost. Fits a twin mattress in a pinch. Still kicking with almost 150K.

3rd Van 2018 Toyota Sienna (seats 8 named Van Helsing). Still needed a van for seats and gear hauling. We love Vanessa so went with another Sienna. I don't expect the next vehicle to be a van. However, when Van Helsing gives up the ghost then there is a chance we might replace her with another Van.

We have 6 biological children. We also have done foster care and have adopted one through foster care. Big families require lots of seats. I have also installed trailer hitches on both Sienna's . Not to pull trailers but instead to put on a carry all tray or bike rack.

@porcupine73 You are good with an SUV or sedan until 3 kids. Then with 3 the minivan let's you climb back and address each kids needs without twisting around and cracking a rib.
Amazing in rides over 30 mins.

That said, the car market is slowing a little. If you can hang on to what you have now and wait for a deal on a used minivan when lots of families upgrade when prices drop, you should be good.

@pastortom Thanks! And excellent point about the market right now. That's something we are weighing since we have two older sedans that technically will fit 2x carseats (but like literally nothing else).

@porcupine73 My 2020 Chrysler Pacifica has all the features (to me at least) and it makes the minivan part not so bad at all. I feel like it was designed for a busy mom. It bumps me back into the lane when I turn around to hand my toddler something if I swerve a little. Cup holders galore. The windshield wipers start automatically. Toddler watches movies and listens thru his Bluetooth headphones.

I can leave my giant stroller wagon in the back and still have room for a Costco run with the husband, baby, and toddler.

The newer vans to me are a lot sleeker and starting to look like big SUVs. I love my van now and am totally ok with being a van mom.

PS. Ours came with weathertech floor liners throughout and that is worth its weight in gold with kids. Highly recommend.

@porcupine73 Sliding doors. Best thing about it! When I drop my youngest off in the car line at school, there's no fussing around, I can open and close the door without getting out of the car (you won't believe how many people get out to open the door!). Keeps things moving. Also, cuts down on possible hitting another car when the kids get out of the car when we park. It's also a bit lower to the ground and easier to get in and out of than our previous SUV was.

I also love how the seats fold flat and I can haul things jn the van. I have transported furniture, full size adult bicycles, and lots of other things.

The only everyday downside is parking. Hate parking it/backing out. So I just park farther away. Not a big deal in the scheme of things.

We have hauled friends, cousins, Co workers, etc etc with plenty of room. Love my van!

@porcupine73 I was anti minivan forever. But when my last car ran out of room we found a really good deal on a Honda minivan.

Pros: super comfortable for driving, power doors (I call them magic buttons), space for growing kids (bought it when they were 8 & 9 and now they’re 16 & 17 and there’s 4 of them), space for a friend or 2. Decent cargo space

Cons: it’s a minivan

@preston354 This is so accurate. When we bought ours, my husband was like “I make good money. I’m finally at a point where I can buy whatever car I want, and I have to buy a minivan.” We love it but I def get the con lol

Back