Best things about minivans?

@porcupine73 I own 3. Yes 3 different minivans. 2 Toyotas and a Mazda 5. They are cheaper than SUVs. Better gas mileage than Suvs. Sliding automatic doors. You can literally fita 4x8 piece of plywood in the Toyota.

@redwinginco TLDR: They still run and we still needed the seats

1st Van 2005 Toyota Sienna (seats 8 named Vanessa) purchased when #3 was in the oven. Still runs great with over 200K miles

2nd Van 2013 Mazda 5 (seats 6 named Mazzi). Still needed 6 seats to fit the family if Vanessa is in the shop. Drives more like a car. Replaced my sedan when it gave up the ghost. Fits a twin mattress in a pinch. Still kicking with almost 150K.

3rd Van 2018 Toyota Sienna (seats 8 named Van Helsing). Still needed a van for seats and gear hauling. We love Vanessa so went with another Sienna. I don't expect the next vehicle to be a van. However, when Van Helsing gives up the ghost then there is a chance we might replace her with another Van.

We have 6 biological children. We also have done foster care and have adopted one through foster care. Big families require lots of seats. I have also installed trailer hitches on both Sienna's . Not to pull trailers but instead to put on a carry all tray or bike rack.

@porcupine73 You are good with an SUV or sedan until 3 kids. Then with 3 the minivan let's you climb back and address each kids needs without twisting around and cracking a rib.
Amazing in rides over 30 mins.

That said, the car market is slowing a little. If you can hang on to what you have now and wait for a deal on a used minivan when lots of families upgrade when prices drop, you should be good.

Back