Are we the only ones struggling financially?

@adamasw597 I just had 40k in student loans paid off, only to find out this past weekend I have 14k in student loans to the government I had no idea about 😕 so frustrating. If I could go back I wouldn’t do loans again

@sunflower232 Me and my husband looked into daycare and found out that we couldn't afford it even with both of us working full time. We paid off almost all our credit cards and I found a part time job so I quit my full time job. We are doing good I cook at home and work evenings so we don't have daycare and after careful budgeting we are doing better than if I was working full time. My part time job comes with benefits and the plans are very affordable.

@sunflower232 My husband and I are struggling. We are in a very good area. The state I live in is pretty low-cost but I am taking two jobs on so I can catch up and pay bills. I inevitably won't have a social life other than for my immediate family.

I also feel extremely guilty for spending even a penny on myself.

I looked at coke and they went up to nearly $13 here. That is insane. (I am on a pop strike but my family loves it. Looks like I am going for only once a week drink and pushing for once a month eating out...if that.)

@itjesus I agree with you on the soda price increase. It’s my beverage of choice so if it’s not on a sale or decent price I skip it. Try another store or wait till next week. Seems Everything (food) is on a 6 week cycle and I will stock up when it is on a decent price. No real
Sales on the holidays or anything similar now.

I realize it will never be 4/$10 again or anything close but I don’t want to pay more than 40 cents for a 12oz can. I can find that( in my area ) and just stock up in my garage fridge and the pantry.

Even the chips and snacks stuff is expensive grocery stores, so sure I’m losing a little weight by skipping calories. I still buy in bulk sizes at Sams Club. Usually same price but larger quantities vs grocery store sales on smaller bags/items.

It’s something we can live without and it is better for our health. We eat tons of vegetables and fresh fruits in our diet but we do enjoy eating snacks too. Like I want chips with my sandwich for quick lunch.

I hope you can check on line ads for various local stores and find something. I also check gas stations we used to find a sale on the 12 packs there occasionally.
Just be aware that 99cent 2L. of soda is close to date in grocery stores and it may not be as good, taste old or flat. I bought a few for a cook out and used 8. Some were ok but 2 were flat in my opinion.

@markyboy I did read your post, but really can only speak to one thing.

I try to buy soda at 4 for $11-12 but 4/$10 is my holy grail. 🤣 I use the Dollar General app and stock up with the sales. Coke products are 3/$11 right now with the coupon on their app. Saturdays there’s a $5 off $25 coupon. I’ll get 2 sets (6 cases) and usually detergent/ other item that’s on sale to spend the remaining $3.

If you have a DG it’s worth the time to do this!

@markyboy Yes. I live in a rural area with dollar general, walmart, kroger, and a small town grocery. I should start looking at the ads. I have a tendency to just go to Walmart and get only the basics, and walmart brand crap.

@markyboy Yep, sales are generally on a 6 week cycle.

I drink the Crystal Light packets, which are almost $3 for a box but can be down to like $1.50 on sale (used to be $2 and on sale for $1).

I need more, but I'm forcing myself to drink the dregs (the flavors I didn't really like so I've still got most of the box hanging out in the cabinet) before I buy full price. If the dregs go, then I'll treat myself to boxes to get me through.

@nutsnboltz I hate when my boomer parents (specifically dad) talk to me like I’m so bad with money. Don’t get me started on all the ways you were ahead in financial stability when you were having kids compared to me.

@sunflower232 My parents first house was 75k and the neighbor watched us for a small fee. My mom was able to pay for nursing school by herself while living at home and working part time at a clothing store. They have absolutely no idea what life is like a generation later

@sunflower232 Same. I’m a single mom though and my ex feels like I don’t deserve child support so there’s that.

In my area there is a vet clinic at a local pet store once a month. A traveling vet practice comes through and you can get your cats and dogs vaccinated super cheap. It’s not a luxurious experience and you wait a while, but it’s so much cheaper than a full vet visit. It’s something to consider.

@rhunette My ex also doesn’t believe child support is his responsibility and is $6000 behind. Also hasn’t even tried to see the child since November of last year.

@chris123gx Yes. I asked our caseworker for help back in February because he was coming up on $60k and I was broke and kind of desperate. She said he didn’t have a job. I said yeah I know but he turned down 2 jobs. What about jail time? She shrugged and said they don’t do that here anymore.