Are we the only ones struggling financially?

@cherishedteddies See, we don’t have that issue in my area. All the vets around here are very transparent about pricing. Some even have billboards advertising their annual package prices lol

@joebrick That’s crazy. My cat/dog annual exams are $40-$60 + shots and it’s only around $100, $150 with the optional vax (lepto, lyme, etc). They are necessary though - and OP could use care credit or scratch pay if they wanted. Your suggestion to look at the local humane society for reduced cost vaccines is a good one. The low cost clinics by me are $15-$50 for all vaccines.

@joebrick If you have a petco near you, they do cheaper clinics called vetco where you can get shots and a quick check up for cheaper than what vets cost.

@sunflower232 My husband and I do very well by a lot of standards. Our cars are paid off; we use credit cards for reward program and pay it off every month. We “loosely” budget but we don’t have to be super strict it. If we are actively saving for something specific, we’re good at it and we do save outside of that, but we also seem to be hit with one thing after another - a new fence, electrical work, etc.

So, we do okay on the day to day but can’t get ahead on the “for the future” if that makes sense

@machia Same! Our only debt is our mortgage…car paid off, cc paid off every month, no student loans, but our bills are very high. Although we put down 20% and live in a very small house in what some might consider a not so good area, our mortgage + property taxes are $4100, daycare is $650/week for 1 kid, and there’s always work to be done on our very old house. Also, is anyone else spending like $1000+ a month on groceries?? We’re able to pay our bills every month but we’re not saving

@trust_in_the_name Same! I’m always couponing, shopping sales, and I shop at Costco, Aldi, Trader Joe’s…like I’m not a Whole Foods girly as much as I wish I was. Why is it sooo expensive?!

@swatson I think we easily spend more than $1000 and even more once you account for alcohol. We also eat out (and even more now as I’m not working so out and about more and husband back to office a few times a week). It’s been a long while since we reviewed the budget

@swatson Groceries are so expensive! I don’t think we’re at $1000. But maybe like $600/700 We have “scouted” stores in our area that are cheaper. We get a of staples from Walmart and another store that’s cash/debit only, which helps keep their costs down. Not my favorite stores but it definitely helps with staple items.

@machia I’d say we fall in this same category. There always seems to be a new major home expense that eats up our savings then we’re trying to rebuild again. This year alone was new windows (we live in an old home in a hurricane prone area), new roof from a hail storm (insurance deductible), hail damage to our car from the same storm (another insurance deductible). We know we eventually have to get our well dug deeper but haven’t started quoting that.
It’s just always something.