Anyone forced to cut a nap (2 to 1) due to circumstances beyond control? How’d it go?

hakjohn

My 12 month old is on two naps at 1.25 hours each (or slightly less) but due to circumstances beyond our control (daycare), she will more than likely be forced to go down to 1 nap at around 14 months. She went from 3 to 2 naps at 6.5 months so I actually think she might be able to tolerate only 1 nap in 2-3 months but I’m just guessing and this may not be the case. She might simply not be ready.

Did anyone have to cut a nap early (more specifically 2 to 1) and how did it go? I have PPA and the thought of this for some reason is just making my anxiety skyrocket.

@hakjohn This is pretty standard for 12month+ daycare so I assume kids generally tolerate it ok. I was worried about the same thing when we were due to start at 13 months, but my kid magically dropped to one nap on her own before she started. Judging from the photos and videos I get from daycare, the other kids in the 12-18 room look ok. Nobody looks particularly bedraggled or overtired. My daycare is somewhat flexible on naps and will offer off-schedule naps to kids who need them.

@hakjohn Same situation! My daughter is 13mo and was on two naps totalling 2.5h. At daycare they do one nap so now she’s doing that. It seems ok. I follow same schedule at home now to not confuse her. First week she was cranky but it’s such a big change to go to daycare. Sometimes she only naps 10min (!!!) but again she’s still getting used to daycare, it’s only been 3wks.

Funnily enough I think with all the daycare stimulation she’s still in a great mood when she gets home at 4:30pm. She also sleeps the night despite the nap change, probably again because of the stimulation. So I figure as long as she sleeps the night and seems happy, it’s whatever!

I have PPA as well. I realize now that she’s in daycare how much more I was focusing on and placing importance on all the naps and stuff when I was with her every day in and out. Now that it’s in daycare’s hands it’s like my brain learnt quickly that it’s out of my control so I’m forced to just tell myself that if she’s happy it’s ok. And now that some time has passed, even though it isn’t perfect, it makes me feel like maybe it’s not as big a deal as I thought :)

@hakjohn Also happened to us at 12 months because of daycare! She's a stroller napper so we avoided taking her out after 10am / 4pm for about a month because she'd fall asleep, but she was totally fine around the house or at the park. She's 14 mos now and totally adjusted and fine with it.

@hakjohn My daughter was 12 months on the dot when she transitioned from 2 to 1. It was fine! She took about a week to adjust and lengthen her nap to 2 hours but she did get it about a week after.

It was a bit difficult at first to adjust to the awake hours but I used outdoor time, Ms. Rachel, lots of cuddles and early bedtime while she was adjusting.

It was all totally fine :)

@lostconfused Bless Ms Rachel’s heart. She’s the only way I can have breakfast in the morning.

Okay that’s so great to hear. Thanks so much, that’s very encouraging.